Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What God has said about fllm
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What God has said about fllm
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"horribly anti semetic movie,"

I saw "The Passion of the Christ" and read all kinds of reviews on it. I saw no antisemitism in it. What did you see that was "horribly anti-semitic"?

In my anecdotal experience, most did NOT go for blood and gore. Like myself, they went to try and get a more realistic impression of what the passion was all about. In my personal experience, I don't know a single person who went specifically to see the violence.

These are two claims that seem ungrounded.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Passion of The Christ" obviously has diverse effects on its audiences. The interpretations are as diverse and conflicting as perhaps the many ways Christ himself affected those He made contact with during His time on earth.

Perhaps, those that insist that the movie has anti-semitic overtones feel some degree of remorse or guilt by ancient association? Am I wrong, or is it possible that the majority of christians fail to see the anti-semitic overtones?

Either way, the film is powerful. It makes us think about Christ's time on earth. Debating and discussing the specifics, within the context of the film or not, validates His importance....once again.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial:

Okay, since Ettil didn't answer the question, and you skirted around it.... again I ask to ...'''answer the question I posed couple posts above.'''
How can a problem the Romans looked at as an internal Jewish problem, be considered anti-semitic?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

Interestingly, one reviewer I read said the film was anti-semitic because "all the Jews in it had huge, hook noses". (1) I noticed no such thing. (2) Isn't THAT an anti-semitic, stereotypical categorization on the reviewer's part?

The fact is that many were calling the film anti-semitic before they even saw it. Again, my own view: Many who see anti-semitism in the film were looking for it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

They may be right. I have some very dear Jewish friends that do NOT have a predominant Jewish nose.... But then I have some friends who are NOT Jewish that have that nose. What gives?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enough about PotC being too violent. You wanna talk about violence? Okay, some friends dragged me to see "Man On Fire" last night. Now, you wanna talk about senseless violence? That movie was depresing. Three whole hours devoted to the glorifying of vengeful torture of one's enemies. Yes, Denzel is made a hero for torturing and murdering the members of the crime ring who kidnapped this girl he had been bodyguarding...and at the end of the film he trades places with her, setting her free and taking her place only to be tortured and killed. And he's going off about how he's gonna be "up there" pretty soon. Yeah, right. Not with all the killing you just did. It was disgusting. What saddened me the most was at the end it claimed to be a true story: this guy was SICK and they go and glorify it. But nobody complains about negative, angry movies like this being too violent. WHY NOT!?

Ettil,
have you SEEN PotC? Defend your criticism. HOW is it anti-semitic?

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 05-26-2004).]

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh god, i got myself into another "thing" again...................................

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don;t see it as anti-semitic for the reasons that at the time it was Jews having problems with renegade Jews, I do feel a cetain "Jews killed Christ!" sentiment in it, which may or may not be there (being of the jewish sort, though in select traditions only, I may just be oversensitive to the issue and may be interpreting it incorrectly). So I'll stay on the fence about the anti-semitism. A discussion about the violence already happened elsewhere.
But Groon is right. Tell us why you felt it was anti-semitic. Support your view.

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post