Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
On this day in 1987 Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reminded that something wonderful happened on this day in history, 1984.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I have been reminded that something wonderful happened on this day in history, 1984.

Let's hear it for the Mac!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1756: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, I am currently reading Musicophilia: Oliver Sacks
http://musicophilia.com/
Fascinating!

Wolfgang had something going on!!!
http://madamepickwickartblog.c...2010/01/mozart24.jpg

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1880: W.C. Fields

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
"There you are, you little s.o.b.!" said W.C. to a young R.B. and as he grudgingly handed him an autograph on the streets of Hollywood, way back when! Right?

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
"There you are, you little s.o.b.!" said W.C. to a young R.B. and as he grudgingly handed him an autograph on the streets of Hollywood, way back when! Right?

Right

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
On February 1, 1966, Buster Keaton passed away quietly of advanced lung cancer after playing cards all afternoon with his wife Eleanor. He also met Ray on the streets of Hollywood, unfortunately Ray doesn't seem to have much to say about their interactions.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost to late to post:

Born 1906: Lon Chaney, Jr.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
In 2000, Charles M. Schulz, creator of Peanuts and direct inspiration for The Halloween Tree, passed away. I always thought it was on February 13, the day of the last strip, but Wikipedia says it was February 12. I never forget that morning in church. For some reason it was really full that day and there was palpable shock when I announced the news.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
In 2000, Charles M. Schulz, creator of Peanuts and direct inspiration for The Halloween Tree, passed away. I always thought it was on February 13, the day of the last strip, but Wikipedia says it was February 12. I never forget that morning in church. For some reason it was really full that day and there was palpable shock when I announced the news.

I watched him play ice hockey and waltzed with him just 3 years before, before moving to Alaska. A friend gave me the book "Good Grief", written during his lifetime. So many things on this site make me cry, or feel like crying.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1977: First unmanned test flight of space shuttle Enterprise mounted on another aircraft.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post