Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sad first anniversary today. RIP Ray.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed. But he's well on his way to living forever, with all the celebratory things which have happened over the last year (and continue to happen).

Onward!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/normandy_landing.htm

Lest We Forget!

Peace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Thanks, Butch.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1968: RIP RFK, 45 years.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1934: Donald Duck made his debut in the cartoon The Wise Little Hen.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1865, poet William Butler Yeats .

Ray Bradbury cites Yeats as a inspirational source for at least two of his own works, the title of the short story collection The Golden Apples of the Sun ( Yeats poem 'The Song of Wandering Aengus') , and his poem 'Of What Is Past, Or Passing, Or To Come' (Yeats poem 'Sailing to Byzantium') .

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary, Martians!

Read all about it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and did you see the Google Doodle yesterday? A little game with Roswell aliens!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...and did you see the Google Doodle yesterday? A little game with Roswell aliens!

I was unable to help the little alien find the spaceship. I am useless with tech junk like games.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I was unable to help the little alien find the spaceship...

Frowner

- Phil

posted Hide Post
1829: The first practical typographer (typewriter) was patented by William Burt

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6th August 1973. Stevie Wonder nearly dies in a horrible car accident. I'm glad we didn't lose him.

"I would like to believe in reincarnation. I would like to believe that there is another life. I think that sometimes your consciousness can happen on this earth a second time around. For me, I wrote Higher Ground even before the accident. But something must have been telling me that something was going to happen to make me aware of a lot of things and to get myself together. This is like my second chance for life, to do something or to do more, and to value the fact that I am alive."

~ Stevie Wonder

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Died 1946: H. G. Wells

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
On 15 August 1961, Conrad Schumann was sent to guard the Berlin Wall on its third day of construction. At that time, the wall was only a low barbed wire fence. From the other side, West Germans shouted to him, "Komm' rüber!" ("Come over!"), and a police car pulled up to wait for him. Schumann jumped over the barbed wire fence and was promptly driven away from the scene by the West Berlin police.

"Live Forever!"