Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Glad to see you're learning BRITISH English, Doug!

As a good Anglophile, I can tell you that there's no such thing as "American English"!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6/12/1988

Our finest singer dies.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1851: Two-thirds of the collection of the Library of Congress (35,000 volumes) and a portion of the Capitol were destroyed by fire.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1822: Louis Pasteur.

Born 1571: Johannes Kepler.

You can view a story about Kepler here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ9mzxGf_dk

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audrey Hepburn dies. 1993.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
DS, a classic clip indeed!

Miss Hepburn had it all. Elegance, grace, beauty, presence, craft.... tough to find the likes of her artistic stature today! She is one of our family's favorites: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000030/

As for this Tiffany's movie: Directed by Blake Edwards, music by Henry Mancini, original novel by Truman Capote (I never realized before!), and a timeless 1957 Chevy parked at the curb - the icing on the era:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clai...ay/57ChevyBelair.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Sad Day Today:

1986: The space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after take-off, killing all seven crew members, including teacher Christa McAuliffe

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karloff died. 1969.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
1964: First appearance of The Beatles on the U.S. TV program, The Ed Sullivan Show. 73 million people watched (about 45% of the U.S. population)

I was in the 5th grade and I think the family watched Red Skelton instead. Monday morning at school I thought when they were all talking about the mop heads it was about the Muppets who did the openings for Red Skelton. (Mahna Mahna)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
1933: World premiere of King Kong.

Years later Ray B. & Ray H. double-dated for the re-release at the theatre that is walking distance from my home.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The original DiVinci Code

Born on this day in 1475: Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs died on this day in 1950

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Hitchcock died this day in 1980.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I guess this guy could be linked to Ray ~

Born 1686: Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Just this. 33 years ago.

"Live Forever!"