Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted
Born 1869: Mahatma Gandhi
Born 1890: Groucho Marx
Born 1895: Bud Abbott

1955: Alfred Hitchcock Presents made its television debut
1959: The Twilight Zone premiered

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice information. Why don't you create special section for this, so other people will also add the day history.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: 03 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Jill", I would much rather take a luxury tour to New Zealand.

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's favorite dynamic duo:

1939: Laurel and Hardy's The Flying Deuces debuted

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is never too late: In 1998 John Glenn returned to space at age 77

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jill:
Nice information. Why don't you create special section for this, so other people will also add the day history.

Phil, why don't you create a "special" section for this?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Phil, why don't you create a "special" section for this?

"Special" section created - the offending spammish sig has been sent to the same section as all the others.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1851: Moby Dick, by Herman Melville, was first published in the U.S.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Man, nobody remembered Armistice Day on the 11th? We put a flag out.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted "Flanders Field"...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here... https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...607060016#9607060016

I recall memorizing this timeless poem as an elementary school student, maybe grade 6 or 7; and now, so many years later, still I recall "these verses" (especially) and their images whenever there is a mere mention of the title or when I am pondering military heroes that have paid the ultimate price:

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
... Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place...

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Great White North, November 11th is Remembrance Day. The poem, "In Flanders Fields" was written by a Canadian poet/physician, John Mcrae. He was born in Guelph, Ontario.

In Canada, reciting that poem is part of Rembrance Day activities for school children. Like thousands of school children, I too memorized the words to Mcrae's moving poem.

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know an author from Guelph, Ontario...but we don't speak of her.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey jkt, thanks for sharing the nice information. I think for the days history there will be any specific section so we can remember all historical days. y the way I dont have any knowledge of 1959: The Twilight Zone premiered, can you please give some information here?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 16 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1928: The animated short, Steamboat Willie, was released featuring Mickey Mouse, his official "birthday."

John King Tarpinian