Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
On this day, February 22, in 1943, three brave young people in Germany, founders of the White Rose Society, a student resistance movement, were tried and summarily executed by guillotine, for having distributed leaflets against the brutal, totalitarian Nazi control of their country.

Their society was named after a novel, The White Rose by B. Traven, who also wrote The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Thought this might be of interest to my fellow readers of this board.

Walt

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walt:
On this day, February 22, in 1943, three brave young people in Germany, founders of the White Rose Society, a student resistance movement, were tried and summarily executed by guillotine, for having distributed leaflets against the brutal, totalitarian Nazi control of their country.

Their society was named after a novel, The White Rose by B. Traven, who also wrote The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Thought this might be of interest to my fellow readers of this board.

Walt

Ugh. Augh. I read this story in German, during high school German class, not knowing the accuracy or historicity of it. This has to be the same event. Ugh. Even though I don't remember the correct German words for it decades later, "they were allowed to smoke a last cigarette together" is seared into my memory, never to stop searing.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor kids! Something to be aware of when we take freedom too much for granted.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funniest man on TV died. 2006. Don Knotts!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-Twitter:

On this day in 1886 Thomas Edison married Mina Miller. He wooed the 19 year old woman via Morse code.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983: The last episode of M*A*S*H, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, aired on television

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He wooed the 19 year old woman via Morse code.

Whoa...I wonder what her parents thought of this!?

http://www.livephysics.com/pto...ages/morse-codes.gif

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
quote:
He wooed the 19 year old woman via Morse code.

Whoa...I wonder what her parents thought of this!?

http://www.livephysics.com/pto...ages/morse-codes.gif

If that link doesn't work, maybe this: http://www.almanac.com/calendar/date/2012-02-24

Just learned Edison was a real bastard to French filmmaker Georges Melies and lost much respect for him.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...Just learned Edison was a real bastard to French filmmaker Georges Melies...

I imagine this was over Edison's insistence that the Edison company had invented the motion picture, and trying to secure a monopoly through the enforcement of patent rights.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know enough about it to know how Edison may have justified it, but he was making a ton with illegal copies of other peoples' films, to the point where Melies had to send his brother to America to enforce the copyrights. This is the only way some of the films were saved. The brother made a paper copy of each frame for the Library of Congress. While film deteriorates or is subject to other bad ends, paper holds up relatively well.

posted Hide Post
Born 1904: Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

1933: World premiere of King Kong

Died 1982: Philip K. Dick

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Speaking of the devil: Born 1847: Alexander Graham Bell

1959: Pioneer 4, first U.S. spacecraft to orbit Sun, launched

1969: Apollo 9 spacecraft launched from Cape Kennedy

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Speaking of the devil: Born 1847: Alexander Graham Bell

Accused of some stuff almost as bad as Edison but in his case perhaps not as clear cut.

posted Hide Post
Born 1475: Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Born 1906: Lou Costello

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
1966: Brian Wilson's heartbreakingly beautiful ballad Caroline, No was released.

See!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post