Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
October 14, 2012: We watched this live and were enthralled for over two hours by the awesomeness of the challenge and the mounting suspense throughout! Mr. Bradbury would have been impressed by the proceedings. "Icarus Montgolfier Wright" came to mind as the moment arrived for that first step off....

RE: Jedediah Prentiss, dreams of what this trip will be like. He knows that his flight into space may mean ultimate death for himself, but if he is successful, his flight will mean that he and all people might hear the "unmeasured breathing of God."

Here Austrian skydiver, daredevil, and BASE jumper Felix Baumgartner is talked through the final minutes by previous altitude record holder (1960) Colonel Joseph William Kittinger I:
http://gizmodo.com/5951563/fir...e-jump-live-coverage
Truly an amazing article and video!

Col. Kittinger's bio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Little Nemo celebrates 107 years since first publication...

P.S. Today's Google Doodle is a nifty little animated thing based on Nemo - www.google.co.uk

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...Mr. Bradbury would have been impressed by the proceedings. "Icarus Montgolfier Wright" came to mind as the moment arrived for that first step off....

Not only "Icarus Mongolfier Wright": Ray's 1961 screenplay for THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES ends with an astronaut literally falling from space (after his rocketship has been destroyed) to a safe landing on the ground. I used to think this was pure Bradburyan fantasy, but now I know better!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one, Phil. So we have another Bradbury Moment! It is great to know he is "always" close at hand!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1937: Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Donald Duck's nephews) first appeared in a comic strip

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
161 years ago: Moby Dick was first published.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's favorite comedy duo:

1939: Laurel and Hardy's The Flying Deuces debuted

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
In 1998 John Glenn returned to space at the age of 77.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Moby Dick first published in the USA on this day in 1851.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Moby Dick first published in the USA on this day in 1851.

Ah, 161 years since Ahab first enquired, "Hast seen the White Whale?"

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Only took Ray one-hundred more years to read it.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
1928: The animated short, Steamboat Willie, was released featuring Mickey Mouse

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Only took Ray one-hundred more years to read it.

It took ME two weeks!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
1928: The animated short, Steamboat Willie, was released featuring Mickey Mouse

Now, watch!

I like the way he taps his foot and shakes his bum as he whistles.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...shakes his bum...

Glad to see you're learning BRITISH English, Doug!

- Phil