Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray Bradbury and the film THE BOOKSHOP

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury and the film THE BOOKSHOP
 Login/Join

posted
I just saw a new British film called THE BOOKSHOP, set in the 1950's, about a young widow who decides to open a book store. Much to my surprise and delight, the writing of Ray Bradbury plays a small but important role in the story. The film is excellent, and I highly recommend it!

Posts: 2444 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing when I saw it on Sunday. I think my review convinced at least two Bradbury fans/friends to go see it the next day. What I wrote:

Have you seen it? If not, rush to your nearest arthouse!

Ray B has four major cameos, and I don't just mean shots of his books.

It's clear that the writer or director is a fan (altho I imagine that it's prominent in the novel), because the scenes don't really have anything to do with the story itself, and yet, there they are. Over and over.

Further, I think you might just love this film.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading the novel, THE BOOKSHOP by Penelope Fitzgerald, upon which this film was based. The book is excellent, but doesn't mention Ray Bradbury even once. This means that the repeated references to Ray and his books throughout the film were the creation of the filmmakers, to which I can only say: they have great taste in writers!

posted Hide Post
High marks to the filmmakers!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This means that the repeated references to Ray and his books throughout the film were the creation of the filmmakers, to which I can only say: they have great taste in writers!

I loved how they snuck him in!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wonderful 2018 film THE BOOKSHOP is set in the U.K. in the 1950's, and is about a widow who opens a book store in a small town. As noted in the postings above, the books of Ray Bradbury play a significant part in the story. The link below will take you to a short feature about the making of the film. Ray's books can be seen from about the 20:06 point to the 20:26 mark. THE BOOKSHOP really is a fine film, and is well worth seeking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-WC60ndP_o

posted Hide Post
And to see just how the character Edmund Brundish (the fine actor Bill Nighy) feels about Ray Bradbury in THE BOOKSHOP, click on the link below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kjanrC10ig&t=2s