Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Happy Birthday
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy 87, John Astin!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy 100th birthday to the late Robert Bloch, author of PSYCHO and Ray's long-time, good friend. If you have never read ONCE AROUND THE BLOCH, Mr. Bloch's "unauthorized autobiography" (that's what he called it!), I highly recommend it. It is both informative and very, very funny.

Incidentally, here is a picture of Ray, sitting next to Robert Bloch, and signing books at the 1977 World Fantasy Convention held in Los Angeles:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/..._to_Robert_Bloch.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kersh, Ray's and my old friend, and co-star of my upcoming film would have been 94.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, Dark Carnival!

Thanks to philnic and the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies for the reminder.

Seventy years ago today, Ray Bradbury's first book was published. DARK CARNIVAL, a hardcover from Arkham House, collected Ray's finest dark fantasy stories, most of them having previously been published in WEIRD TALES magazine.

Some of the classic story titles you may recognize: The Lake, The Small Assassin, The Jar, The Homecoming, The Crowd, The Scythe, There Was An Old Woman, Uncle Einar. Some of his best-ever fiction; and some of the best fantasy fiction of the twentieth-century.

Ray revised some of the stories between their WEIRD TALES appearances and their first book appearance. Then, with the passing years, he came to have second thoughts about some of the stories, and so he re-wrote them again when they were re-packaged for a new book, THE OCTOBER COUNTRY. The OCTOBER COUNTRY remains in print to this day.

Because of THE OCTOBER COUNTRY, Ray allowed DARK CARNIVAL to retire, and only once permitted a re-printing. That was for a special limited edition from Gauntlet Press. Both the original book and the Gauntlet edition are out of print today.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Happy 75, Brian​! You wrote the greatest album of all time.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Happy 93, Don Knotts!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Happy 97, Mr B! Wherever you're exploring.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hope you got a great view of the eclipse!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Ray. Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to Ray the day after his passing...

Dear Ray,
A very long time ago, Mr. Electrico touched you with the tip of a sword and ran you through with a current of electricity and said, “Live forever!” A bold declaration, and one made even bolder by your twelve-year-old self, who almost believed he would do it.
Well… you did.
Even though I find myself with a heavy heart on this warm June day, there is a smile beneath the tears. For you did live forever, Ray, and you go on living with each day that passes. You live forever in “The October Country”. Your fruits are harvested in “The Golden Apples of the Sun”. You move among the art of “The Illustrated Man”. And you are there on the red planet, colonizing, creating and living in “The Martian Chronicles”.
You have not passed on, Mr. Bradbury, and you will certainly never die.
Stacks of pages, shelves of books… the papery whisper of a million voices are your legacy. For me it began when I was a boy, reading a story called “All Summer in a Day” and nearly being moved to tears. You could always do that, Ray. You could bring tears and laughter, hope and heartache, and in all of it you strung together metaphor and magic. You plunged headlong into the world and life, and I was carried along with you.
You taught me to leapfrog through life and seek joy and zest. Words seemed to be created by you, to be you. Rush, race, passion, zeal, eruption, urgency, childhood, magic, crisp, flickering.
And the colours, Ray, your colours. The green of your Greentown and the orange of your Halloween Tree. The red of your Martian landscape. The glimmering white glow of your ice cream suit. A rainbow, a bedazzlement, a plethora of explosive colours, all of them flowing with ease from your fingertips and onto page after page.
I want to thank you, Ray. Thank you for the simple joy and pleasure of your stories. For the metaphors that taught me so much about life, about people and about writing. Thank you for the inspiration to make me a better writer. You are a man who taught me to read better, write better, and live better.
So now, sadly, I will say farewell. Never good-bye, of course, for there will come a cool autumn night when I hear the steely clack of train wheels on a cold track and I’ll know that the carnival’s come again. And perhaps I’ll gaze up at the stars one night, seeking Mars, seeing the endless expanse of the cosmos, and see you there. Or maybe it will be nothing more than a new pair of sneakers, a warm summer morning, the smell of cut grass, or a single dandelion.
You are everywhere, Ray.
You live forever.
Shane

Posts: 1 | Registered: 05 May 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane Nelson:
A very long time ago, Mr. Electrico touched you with the tip of a sword and ran you through with a current of electricity and said, “Live forever!” A bold declaration, and one made even bolder by your twelve-year-old self, who almost believed he would do it.

Indeed!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
A beautiful and touching tribute.

posted Hide Post
Happy 101, Uncle 4E!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Happy 77, Neil Diamond. Thanks for the beautiful music.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, thanks, and please be well!