Ray Bradbury Forums
Happy Birthday

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/963102813

15 May 2012, 06:49 AM
jkt
Happy Birthday
Born 1856: L. Frank Baum: If you are ever visiting Hollywood and go to one of Ray’s favorite restaurants, Musso and Frank’s, there is a 60s apartment building behind the restaurant's parking lot. Where that apartment now stands was LFB’s home. Now for a communal scream…after LFB passed a relative was visiting the widow and discovered she was burning his papers in the incinerator. She figured his books could be purchased and nobody would be interested in his papers. (As told to me by a grand-nephew)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
15 May 2012, 07:11 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
…after LFB passed a relative was visiting the widow and discovered she was burning his papers in the incinerator...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
24 May 2012, 09:36 AM
Doug Spaulding
Seventy-one years ago, the composer of my favorite rock and rock song was born. It's good to see that Rolling Stone Magazine agrees with me on this.

"Live Forever!"
24 May 2012, 06:39 PM
fjp451
Yes. The times they are a changin'! (...but somehow seem to stay in many ways the same.)

The composer of my favorite rock music (back then) covered these two classics by Mr. D!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcq9lHlpoqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...1j3U&feature=related
24 May 2012, 07:25 PM
dandelion
Happy birthday to our late and fondly-remembered friend, Nard Kordell!
25 May 2012, 05:52 AM
fjp451
Ah, yes!! Friend Nard...
26 May 2012, 12:11 AM
Doug Spaulding
Levon would be 72 today.

"Live Forever!"
26 May 2012, 02:28 PM
jkt
Born 1951: Sally Ride

John King Tarpinian
26 May 2012, 03:59 PM
philnic
Born 27 May 1934: Ray's friend Harlan Ellison.

Harlan has contributed a story and an essay about Ray to Sam Weller's SHADOW SHOW Bradbury tribute volume.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
27 May 2012, 12:09 AM
Doug Spaulding
Whatever you do, do not ring him up to wish him a happy birthday! I haven't done this, I'm just pre-warning.

"Live Forever!"
27 May 2012, 12:10 AM
Doug Spaulding
Vincent Price, born on this day 101 years ago.

"Live Forever!"
27 May 2012, 12:17 AM
Doug Spaulding
Happy 67 to one of the best, Bruce Cockburn.

My favourite.

"Live Forever!"
27 May 2012, 07:32 AM
jkt
I dare somebody to call Harlan Ellison® and wish him a happy birthday today.

John King Tarpinian
27 May 2012, 08:29 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I dare somebody to call Harlan Ellison® and wish him a happy birthday today.

I'm impressed that you got the ® in there, jkt! Here's what Harlan wrote on his message board a few days ago:

You already know my feelings about birthday cards [...] so if you feel pressed to say a word, I cannot stop you. Nor would I. I thank you in advance, and am quietly gratified.

And sure enough, his message board has been full of greetings the last couple of days. Despite his reputation, I think he's a pussycat (or teddy bear, or something else cute and cuddly)... but I wouldn't recommend phoning him. If. You. Want. To. Get. Out. Alive.

Big Grin

- Phil

27 May 2012, 10:28 AM
Doug Spaulding
Happy 90, Christopher Lee.

"Live Forever!"