Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Up to Speed!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up to Speed!
 Login/Join

posted
I have just started reading One More for the Road though I obtained it a month or so back and now have some time to enjoy a new ride.
Mr. Bradbury hasn't lost a step, skipped a beat, slowed down for the curves, or settled for middle of the road. His voice is as clear as ever and his tales still uniquely captivating.

His Legacy is still being written - every morning - with the natural precision of the Zen master of words that he has been for decades and remains today.

This recent book could very easily have been titled Another One of Many More For the Road!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, have been negligent in even purchasing my own copy. But will do so quickly as well as his new book of poetry.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to read my own copy of One More For the Road; I've got to finish reading Stephen King's collection, Everything Eventual, and then I will sit down and savor Bradbury's book.

But I have scanned through Road, and you know what? I discovered an interesting repetitive dialogue pattern. Most of the stories seem to have characters exclaiming "My God!" or "Oh Lord" or "Oh, my God." I realize this is not a new quirk in Bradbury's dialogue, but it just seems more pervasive these days.

Go ahead, examine the book and tell me I'm not right about this....

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the same thing, especially when Bradbury tells stories about himself. A lot of "My God's." Quirky, certainly. Harmeless, absolutely. I have to chuckle when I come across them. Still, I don't read Bradbury because he's a hard-nosed realist, so I'll put up with this quirk.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading the two previous posts on Mr. Bradbury's parenthetical comments (not direct addresses, yet possibly interjections), "Oh, Lord" "My God!" etc, I went back to OMFTR and scanned through some stories. He seems to have worked far more within dialogue in this collection than in other recent works. Though, From the Dust Returned has many exchanges between characters (as one would expect in a novel), he still relies on detailed and flowing prose to paint the scenes.

"One More" does not seem have the page long excurions through imagery he typically offers. Still the stories have what it takes to satisfy any RB fan.

As for the referred to "comments" - while listening to a few audio tapes while driving the past two days - I could not help but hear the words "Lord" "Oh, God", "My God!" numerous times. So maybe it's always been there and now is accounted for by his critical readers.

One of my all time "favorites" would be in Dandelion Wine when the old Colonel is recounting Pawnee Bill taking him on "the great buffalo hunt of '75":

"Pawnee Bill...1875...yes, me and Pawnee Bill on a little rise in the middle of the prairie...waiting. Shh! says Pawnee Bill. Listen!"

Thunder. Soft. Thunder. Thunder again. Not so soft. Across the prairie as far as the eye could see...black lightning..., fifty miles long, a mile high, and no more than an inch off the ground. "Lord!" I cried, "Lord!" -from up on my hill-"Lord!" The earth shook: rat-a-tat rat-a-tat, boom! Rumble. That's a rare word: rumble!" (DW)

My God, his descriptions are powerful!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-25-2002).]

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Mr. Palumbo,

Lord, that was quite a post. Just finished my annual Dandelion Wine reading to celebrate the commencement of summer and that passage was still fresh in my mind. Excellent choice.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pterran:
Mr. Palumbo,

Just finished my annual Dandelion Wine reading to celebrate the commencement of summer ...

Ha! That's funny: I normally try to do the same. Now that I have two daughters -- ages 4 and 8 -- I would like to start the tradition of reading DW to them every summer. Bradbury's legacy lives on!

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky to complete the book once a decade--read DW in the '70s, '80s, '90s, and am now in my "Zips reading," but certain of the individual stories I've read many more than four times.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah! It's just good to re-read some 'vintage' posts...when life was something close to normal on this board....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to that, Nard! Thanks for reminding us what this board used to be like (and, I predict, will soon be like again).

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, those were the good old days!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to that! As I've indicated, though I've only recently begun posting, I've followed this and other message boards for some time.
Many communications seem to devolve into petty arguments that have little or nothing to do with the original topics, alas.
By the way, I ALWAYS get out some vintage Bradbury in October!

(Say, Dandelion, up kinda late aren't you?)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading One More For The Road, so much I have already bought a second copy, and donated it to the Library that I work in. I love the paperback bookcover of a skeleton in a tux of sorts thumbing on down the road. At least that is what I remember of the cover at this late hour. I can't wait to read "The Cats Pajama's". I have not made any posts here, for what seems like a month due to the contentous content. I too am glad to hear more about the wonderful author that I got into this BB for.
Has anyone reread the story a Medicine For Melencholy lately, that one, and Hopschotch are two of my favorites to read with my Wife when it comes close to my Wedding anniversary. I read M for M to my future wife I think prior to our marriage, or shortly after the fact. I just know that it has been sixteen years of marriage on July 14th for us. I am getting fuzzy in my head sometimes, but Mr Bradburies writing always takes me back to better, times with his flavor for time, feeling and place. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the movie A Sound Of Thunder, does anyone have the scoop on the release date to that one. I would like to know if you do!
over and out Uncle

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 07-05-2004).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear other readers picking up on Bradbury's recent habits (lots of "Oh God", lots of dialogue). Let's All Kill Constance has a lot of this. My theory is that Ray has been doing a lot of writing by dictation in recent years.

A Sound of Thunder is currently expected to be released on 8th October. Warner Brothers appear to have reserved a URL for it (www.asoundofthunder.com), but at the moment it just takes you to the WB home page (where there is no sign of the movie yet).

I've been reading some more of It Came From Outer Space, where an amusing item is a 1952 rejection letter to RB from The Magazine Of Fantasy & Science Fiction telling him how A Sound Of Thunder (the short story) is flawed, illogical, unbelievable. Ray presumably laughed all the way to the bank...

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 07-05-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, you dug around in the attic (as you have a knack of doing) and found a blast from the past! (You "guys" are in great form, I might add.)

I just sent a letter via Mystery and Imagination Books in Glendale, CA, for a copy of Cat's PJ's on the day Of Mr. B's signing (this Sat. 7/10). Great folks to purchase from and communicate with. Nice to hear RB is doing well (D. Miller show, etc. - Go get 'em Ray and Dennis)!

I too hope things eventually come around for the good of the lot! I anxiously await the chance to rip open the package, turn to the signed title page, and then sit down to begin reading... and "Thunder" this fall!

fpalumbo