Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Moore dittoheads target Ray!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moore dittoheads target Ray!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I don't remember seeing that one but I will keep an eye out.

My personal favorite "Far Side" shows a little boy with glasses and buck teeth with feathers floating all around him. It says, "God as a child tries to creat a chicken." Smiler

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider these:

With the old woman sleeping, and her furry pet on her bed, from the half-opened window the dog whispers in, subliminally intended: "Put the cat out"..."Put the cat out!"

or

With the friendly mutt hidden in the corner of the laundry room: He states with great anticipation ...."Oh, please!" While on the opened dryer door is a sign with a tempting arrow pointing in, as the feline considers the message: "Cat Fud!"

My enjoyment of Larson has always been his genius in capturing a visually humorous scene and then adding a simple yet perfect linguistic twist to create his satire.

I once sent Mr. B the cartoon where the not-to-be-bothered mother tells her bespectacle young son who is looking out the window at two prehistoric beasts unloading packages off a truck: "If there're monsters moving in next door, "RAY" (written in lieu of "Danny"), you just ignore them. The more you believe in them, the more they'll try to get you."

RB replied in a card that he got a good laugh out of the selection!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, I remember that one. I'm sure it's in one of the collections. If I find it, I'll let you know.
Larson's simple cartoons are cited like books, movies, or TV programs, e.g. "I like the one with the cows standing on their hind legs in a field...".
He also has the knack of causing the reader to see the drawing first and then read the caption, OR vice-versa, whichever is required to get the most out of it. How he does that, I can't imagine.
The one with the sailor with the peg leg comes to mind...
This rabbit trail could get out of hand! Maybe we should start a "Favourite Far Side" thread?
(Or a separate web site!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the "Cat Fud" one, the one which made me laugh the most was of two bears posing for tourists' cameras while a third bear sneaked up behind their car and let the air out of the tires.

In college I did a report on the Chicago Fire and in the picture section included the "Far Side" cartoon of two cows watching Chicago burn and remarking that agent # such-and-such had accomplished her goal.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok! This is my last one: (maybe..)

The one with the prehistoric monster driving the car through a downtown street with the license plate that reads: "I Ate NY!"

Why Dandelion? So used humor in reporting on a great tragedy like the Chicago Fire?? Hmm? This summer I read the novel The Devil in the White City, re: post Chi-fire and the building of the Chicago World's Fair, c. 1915. What a tale of corruption and graft! Ironically, the author's name is Eric Larson. I don't think he used the cartoon you referred to though.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s amazing how these threads can morph. This one starting with Michael (you-just-wan'a-hug'm) Moore and now turning into something actually worthwhile.

Three of my favorites are:

Frog being pulled into air with tongue stuck to underbelly of plane.

Night. Dog using acetylene torch on trashcan under window. Wife says to husband something like, “Harold, that light. That dog must be back.”

Lawn is all chopped up after dog has mowed it badly. Man standing on steps with hands on hips says, “Bad dog! No Biscuit!”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK,
Male dog in front of house with garden hose in mouth.
Wife dog (complete with glasses, bee hive hairdo & apron, of course) on front porch with arms akimbo saying, " So, off to roam the neighbourhood with some of your buddies?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, man, I can't believe this. One of my "Twilight Zone" buddies found it using Google:

(And can you believe the guy's name was Leonard...and I didn't remember it? Shades of "Heavy-Set"!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, Gary Larson attended the same university--in fact, he was the keynote speaker at my graduation--and I got a great grade on that paper, heh-heh.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackdog:
I didn't have a book with me (which was quite unusual) and got my mom to shell out 75 cents for the book (I still have it). QUOTE]

Wow,,75 cents.I don't think we'll see those days again huh?

Posts: 16 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't Gary Larson a Seattle-ite?

posted Hide Post
Obviously must be from someplace in Washington State.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This summer I read the novel The Devil in the White City, re: post Chi-fire and the building of the Chicago World's Fair, c. 1915.
The World Columbian Exposition (aka Chicago World Fair) was in 1893.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post