Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    The Value of a Book
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Value of a Book
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Whaddya mean without (*hic*) the cocktailsh?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,

Ha!

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Developing Story in Cuba

RB speaking out:

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45050

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lake,

Excellent link, and I thank you for it. This story should serve to point out to the hand-wringers at the ALA that, yes, censorship and book-burning are alive and well but IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. That evil form of censorship practiced here in America - parents actually having a say in what kind of books are available to their children in their school libraries - pales in comparison with the brand of censorship practiced in Cuba.

Best,

Pete

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pterran,

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pete.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lake,

You're welcome.

Pete

(Above post edited for a glaring grammatical error. D'oh!)

posted Hide Post
Just met with a group of seniors for the first time today (new 4th quarter lit. class). In our discussions, I alluded to F451 and was amazed that none of them had read it??? I always do it in grade 10, so I obviously had none of them as sophs.

What a bonanza! I have immediately added Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, to the reading list for the final ten weeks. How great is that? Everyday is gift! (I got a bit rambunctious there, didn't I?)

It should be really interesting to teach the unit with 12 graders. The perspectives will be completely different.

"It was a pleasure to burn!"

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Pete. Thats scary. Way to go fjp, keep on being rambunctious, and keep on spreading the written word of R.B. to the students. I know they will benefit immensely because of your good turn!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's neat being able to set your own curriculum instead of having it handed to you.

I was actually never assigned the book in high school, but read it on my own in eighth grade.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-Two, You may want to be blessed by Father Peregrine. Look at the number of your post at the top of this page. You persnickety robot demon spawn you! Golly gee, I was only kiddin, just watched Burnt Offerings. Had to be the worst movie I've seen in a long time, worse yet, I bought it. May have to pull a Montag on its sorry blank!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea (or something like that), look at the number now.

TIME MARCHES ON

Persnickety incramenters!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a true miracle. That really astounds me, do you mind explaining that one? Did he do that? I didn't see any new posts by B-Two, so it must be a corrective error post right? Did you notify him, did he see it on his own? Are you him??? My God, I've fallen into another dimension. I just threw a quarter at my wall and it disappeared, not to mention the earwhig tunneling towards my brain to lay its dubious cargo of eggs that will send me screaming into the catacomb. Oh sorry, what was it you wanted to know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Speaking of bugs tunneling towards the brain, in the 1800’s, while looking for the source of the Nile River, John Hanning Speke (Sir Richard Francis Burton was the leader of the expedition) had a bug crawl into his ear while sleeping. He used a pen-knife to try and dislodge it and made it angry and scared so it burrowed through his ear canal and into his mouth. That aside, check out Burton sometime. Got a spear through the face (cheek to cheek) and carried the scars the rest of his life. There are similarities between him and Heinlein.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
User comments on the movie say "Burnt Offerings" was a brilliant book which didn't quite make the translation to film. It was directed by Dan Curtis, creator of my favorite show as a kid, "Dark Shadows," who unfortunately just passed away on March 27. At least you get to see one of my favorite actors, Lee H. Montgomery, at just the age when he would have been perfect for Douglas Spaulding.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that was who he was, he looked familiar. Thanks for that info Chap. You still didn't answer my question.

I like Oliver Reed as an actor. Remember, the mean uncle in Tommy. He could easily play the mean, drunk, arcade proprietor in Dandelion Wine whom Douglas steals the witch from.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,