Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    The Value of a Book
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Value of a Book
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Pterran: Enjoyed your last post here in particular and enjoyed the discussion in general.

As a note: Sometimes when people feel that someone is attacking thier views, the attacks they are responsing to are sarcastic or dismissive comments. These are often taken personally, while the author of these kinds of comments can pretend s/he is not attacking.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit this, but I actually did attend a one room school house in Dahlonega, Iowa. One row was the 8th grade. I really liked it and while the teacher was working the other rows (read grades)I read the encyclopedia and loving the end of an article where it would say "See also...." I learned a lot just reading the encyclopedia.

Later, we were bused into town. The school house still stands and may be converted to a tourist information center.

I think that I have just figured out how to post a photo. Hopefully there is one of Ray I took in 1996 and one of the school house mentioned above.

ImageOne_Room_School_House-Dahlonega,_IA.jpg (149 Kb, 22 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

ImageRay_and_the_girls.jpg (113 Kb, 33 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's photo of him sitting in his living room won't load up for some reason. The message says that the 301 MB (or whatever) exceeds the 300 MB limit. Any suggestions as to how I can get this on?

posted Hide Post
Do you know how to change the type and compresion of the photo to make it take up less space? If so, do that and it should be no problem....if not, I will post again with directions on how to do so and you can try it that way. Although, for directions, do you have a PC or a MAC?

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I do not know how to change anything with the photo or how to compress. What I don't understand is why did the one with my wife and daughters in it did post with all the text, and this one photo of Ray did not.

I have a Dell PC.

posted Hide Post
biplane1,

if you'd care to email the troublesome photo to me, I'll happily process it and upload it for you.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sizes of the photos are different. That is what the problem is. Goodluck getting it set philnic.

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say it is because the one photo is larger than the other...but they came from the same roll of film and, I believe, are 4 x 6 inch photos. But I will email it to Philnic this evening to see what happens. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
If this works, here is the photo biplane1 has had problems with.

The message board has an image file size limit of 300 kilobytes, and this pic was originally slightly bigger than that.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

ImageRay_edited.jpg (46 Kb, 18 downloads) biplane1's pic of Ray

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done, Phil!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please! Someone please explain to me how a photo of Ray with my wife and daughters taken perhaps a frame or two from the one of Ray sitting by himself on a love seat, is of a different size? I hate to be so ignorant, but the two photos came from the same roll of 35mm film and was shot on a Minolta SRT 101 manual camera (quite ancient actually, 30 plus years old)and I am perplexed as to the difference.

Thanks in advance for the one who can explain this to me.

posted Hide Post
biplane1,

the issue isn't to do with te roll of film the pictures came from, but they way you got them into your computer. My guess is you used a scanner, and you scanned them at different times. You just happen to have used different scanner settings for each scan.

It will also depend on the detail within each picture. When pictures are saved as JPEG files (which yours were, and most internet images are), the image is compressed. If the picture has very little detail in it, it will compress well, and produce a small file. If the picture has lots of detail, fiddly bits, sharp lines etc, it won't compress very much, and you end up with a large file.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil for the explanation. It certainly makes sense. I will keep that in mind when I down or up load photos in the future.

posted Hide Post
Biplane1,

Great pics! Thanks for posting them. You're not the only one getting a lesson in posting pictures.

Mr. Dark,

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your post. Thanks for the kind words. I know when I'm writing, my tone is always lighter than how my post reads. Probably the same for everyone, I guess. If I come across a little too strident, I apologize. it's certainly not my intent. I think I've said this before but I always look at this board as sort of a friendly cocktail party, without the cocktails. Just a bunch of friends tossing ideas around and playing with them.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post