Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Words for Ray's (Surreal?) "Take" on Life?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words for Ray's (Surreal?) "Take" on Life?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
patrask. Nonsense!! What really happened is the 60's was a litmus test indicating society beginning a genuine fall off that path of sanity for many, masquerading as freedom. The 1960's paved the way for the welcome bandwagon of the Hefners and Flynts of this world, and later the Bill Mahers, who made me realize what a nut we have when he said right there on his TV program, Politically Incorrect, that US should not retaliate unless a bomb came and blasted away 1 million people. Then, he said, you knew there was a real reason to retaliate. This was not Bill Maher satire. Or super dark humor. It was what he thought. And a great mass of people nowadays listen and think the same. In our popular culture mind-set, no one knows what's right or wrong, and those in that popular culture mind-set think their idea of truth is as good as anyone else. You would be considered a fool not that many years ago. No Thanks1960's.

The new generation of Drug happy, sex happy, mockery of parents dummies, disregard for history idiots, bunch of cry babies giving birth to a generation today of Paris Hiltons and Lindsay Lohans. It's not that they haven't been around thruout hisotry, it's that there are so gosh darn many more of them today!

By the way, just what was the original topic?

Oh, yes, what is that magic in Bradbury? God's gift. Nothing less. Period!

What killed the '60s can be sumed up in one word - AIDS. There are some who believe, and there is some evidence to suggest, that the origin of this terrible disease was government sponsored and then consciously tested on unsuspecting humans in Africa of the kind that would not complain too loudly about something they could not understand. Incredible? Well, what about the GAY BOMB that your government supposedly was developing to turn enemy soldiers into more peaceful, less agressive combatants when infected?

As one who lived through the '60s I still am dumbfounded by the total lack of truth regarding the killings of the Kennedys, MLK, and, of course, Marilyn Monroe. Governments never tell the truth, its too dangerous for the average citizen to know what is really behind the events that occur. The '60s made me a real cynic, it wasn't the cannibus, I wasn't into that at all. There was enough bad news in that decade to dampen anyone's belief in a free society. We live in a freer society, but don't think you can change anything by yourself. you will need a movement, that was evident in the '60s, and we did change things a bit, civil rights etc. The reins were relaxed a little. Now, our very freedoms to keep personal information personal has been taken away in the name of government protection from the terrorists. And so it goes. Time for a return to the passion of the '60s to let 'em know we are still here and won't just jump when the government yells fire. Take back your country. You don't need rose colored glasses to see red, it is all over the media, and it is the color of blood spilled in the name of your country.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete, when you were referring several posts back to hearing music in the background of "Dillon" could you have meant Robert Zimmerman of Hibbing, Minnesota, otherwise known as Bob Dylan?

A friend of mine grew up across the street from the Zimmerman's and remembers Bob practicing in their garage many years ago.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask. Let's take a look at AIDS. HIV causes AIDS. And HIV has been around since the start of time. And HIV comes from a slow moving virus called Lentivirus, which comes from a larger group of viruses called a Retrovirus. And out of all that, there is the Simian virus, where HIV comes from. And Simian viruses come from Monkeys. And somewhere, there was a human to Monkey contact that started the chain. Likely this has been around for centuries. It flares up and dies down. Something like Global warming?

The rest of your comments are pretty much known facts. We pretty much know who was behind Kennedy killings, the Marilyn Monroe connection to the Kennedys, etc. If you have an anti-government attitude, then everything that happpens has something to do with the government. Flouride, natural gas, ozone depletion, flat Earth theories, saucer theories, meltdown of the Twin Towers, etc. The great cry decades ago was personal freedom was taken away with the Social Security Number. Before that, the telephone would restrict are ability to be at places without someone knowing about it. Television was a government invention to secretly spy on the buyer. Radios were also listening in on private home conversations.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and how about that Internet!? Thanks, Mr. Gore!

BTW: The meterman is no longer old Mr. Philips, knocking at the back door on a hot summer afternoon. Now, a company from across the ocean owns our local power stations and has a "technician" sitting in a van and scanning neighborhood house meters from the road. Pretty nifty! Et tu, the blackbox under our car's dashboard is a best friend to the insurance companies in finding moi at fault. "Sorry! 'No coverage!' You were going 31mph, roads were wet, speed zone sign says '30mpg'."

My wallet is loaded with magnetic Big Brothers. The food is tainted, medicines make us sick, air isn't breathable, and we can't drink the water. Animals are disappearing faster than the ice caps, my taxes all just went up, and I'm late for that noon meeting. What's a guy to do...?

(Hmmm. How about writing a good ol' blues or C&W song?)

No gibes intended, Pete. Just a bit of rambling ironic.
How about that famous line from the movie Network, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" (Outcome: Great Ratings!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waaaaaaaaaay off the topic so forgive as I add to the waaaayoffitness...

Had lunch with a friend of mine today who I recon a lot smarter than myself, and he made mention about something when I asked the manager to turn down the overhead music a bit so we could at least hear ourselves talking...

My friend said that music in most restaurants are turned up to a certain beat in order to hurry up the customers, so they eat and scurry, in order to let another batch of hungry mice in. (Those weren't his exact words, I'm adding them 'mice' words and 'scurry' words for color..). And that malls usually have slower music, so that you take time to visit the shops and not feel like you have to be in any special hurry. He talked about a bunch of other...what he called...MIND CONTROL things... that science and the marketing people have worked out. And I thought, who needs to worry about the depletion of the ozone layer when our personal freedoms are depleting by shopping deception...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, did you ever see that Ma and Pa Kettle movie where they speeded up the music to increase conveyor belt production?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who don't know me, I am a pesimistic optimist - I expect the best, but prepare for the worst, and I keep asking those famous questions:
who, what, where, why, when and the most interesting of all - how? And of course - follow the money.

I believe that technology can bring us into a much better world, but we must be willing to surrender some freedom to use it. Why are we allowed to drive 90, (I do, you know) on the freeway, when the technology could be easily brought to bear on this speeding problem through the use of speed governors, just like they use on the race cars in the pit lane. You speed, they send you a ticket, just GPS and telemetry, no cop needed. There are many other examples.

I know I am talking like Big Brother is a good thing, well in some cases it surely is, and much cheaper than paying for the cops health care to write tickets, not to mention the deaths that might be avoided. I would give up my 90 if everyone else will as well. I love to follow the rules, I just ask that I be asked to vote on them and have a say in how they are finalized. If you just tell me the Truth, I can live with the knowledge that all is not in order in the world, we all know that anyway.

Sounds like a Bradbury story in here somewhere?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”

- William Carlos Williams (American Poet, 1883-1963)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post