Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Standing Room Only
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing Room Only
 Login/Join

posted
I talked to Alan Neal Hubbs, Ray’s Pandemonium Theater director, and Ray today. (Not name dropping but just giving the source.)

Those of you who are out-of-town on Friday night June 29th are going to miss something very special…a once in a lifetime event. Instead of the Fremont Theater putting on the evening’s performance of Green Town the night will be billed as, “Ray Bradbury Live!” This will be an ‘intimate’ 77-person capacity theater night with Ray on stage. Ray will not just be talking to the public, his loving fans, but to friends old and dear to him…people he considers special in his life. The evening will culminate with the presentation of Ray’s Pulitzer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, I am so there!

Is this going to be videotaped?

Ticket information? I've got to be one of the seventy-seven!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, yes, I want a tape!

"Ray Bradbury...this is your life!"

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
John, I am so there!

Is this going to be videotaped?

Ticket information? I've got to be one of the seventy-seven!

Go to www.plays411.com and search for Ray's play at the Fremont Theater. If you can book a ticket for the 29th then you are home free. I would not be surprised if half or more of the tickets will be held back for Ray's guests.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Man, yes, I want a tape!

"Ray Bradbury...this is your life!"

I will ask if it is being taped and if copies will be made public. There is a plan B, there is always a plan B.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
From the web site:
Runs
Fri, Jun 22 – Sun, Jul 29
Friday & Saturday at 8pm
Sunday at 3pm

Show Calendar

No Performances
No performance of Green Town on Friday June 29th, instead there will be a special evening "RAY BRADBURY LIVE!" Readings of his poems, stories, and Ray in person!

Buy Tickets
ADMISSION: $20. Seniors, $15. Students, $10.

Special Events
There will be an opening night gala on Friday June 22nd and on Friday June 29th when Ray Bradbury performs LIVE!

Special Show Info
Running time: 120 minutes.
There will be an intermission.

Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Ample Street Parking
Area Map

Special Theatre Info
The theatre has concessions.

Reservations
(323) 960-4451

Ray Bradbury, America's beloved storyteller's newest offering; "GREEN TOWN" is a themed evening, a deft mix of fantasy and nostalgia set in the mythical town of Green Town, Illinois, probably suggested by Bradbury’s own birthplace, Waukegan. It’s an indeterminate time, somewhere around 1930 perhaps, in a Midwestern place where trees line streets surrounded by abundant flora, giving the locale its name. It’s a place where businesses are locally owned, and their proprietors are known to all, as are people’s neighbors. It’s a peaceful town….until fantastic events begin to intrude, of course.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
"Standing Room Only" has the sound for the title of a short story about Ray Bradbury.

A widely imaginative young writer enters a spacious amphitheater, walks down the center aisle, and ascends the stage upon which is located a table and a single chair. When he seats himself, he finds resting in front of him a yellow and green pencil, a black marble writing tablet, and a glass of orange soda with ice in it.

The young man looks up and wonders at the vast emptiness lying in front of him. He picks up the pencil and begins to write...

As you can image, later, when he looks up, he is amazed to witness a sea of smiling faces. All are glowing, many with tears of love, flowing and unabashed. For just a moment the author cocks his head to the side in amazement and then looks back down at the table upon which his experienced hands rest. The pencil, now more worn than the new one he remembered picking up just moments ago, seems a part of who he is.

When he refocuses his eyes out to the theater, he views a crowd that has miraculously gathered, and then he realizes the assemblage is suddenly rising to its feet. A certain chill runs through his veins. Joy overwhelms the now elder statesman. A thunderous ovation fills the room.

"My! Oh, my goodness!" he state with emotion.

The writer, still incredibly young at heart, realizes the vast gathering not only fills each and every seat, but it reaches into outer corriders.

It would be an obvious understatement to refer to the occasion as "Standing Room Only."

(I only wish I could be there to join in the congratulations, to Mr. Bradbury! f )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, fitting metphor, and nice imagery!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451:

May I print this out and show it to Mr. B?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt: I'd be honored!!

Tell Mr. B, it is from fp in the Northeast. Maybe you could mention the scroll my students did for him. You would really enjoy looking at it with him if he thought it appropriate to share under the right circumstances. It was sent with loads of love. I hope it all works out.

I had made plans to be in NYC when the Pulitzer announcements were made. Maybe this would be a way for me to be there in Spirit, which is the best Being There!!

Regards.
f

(& Thanks, Sundance. 3 lefts DO make a right. I tried it!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fjp451:
jkt: I'd be honored!!

The scroll guy, that he'll remember.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I've been called many things over the years...The "scroll guy!?' Hmm? (Kind of like the Old Colonel and the "Time Machine!"

OK. Yes, I would be he. You may need two rooms to roll out the whole work. I am sure Mr. B would find joy in viewing it with you.

posted Hide Post
Here is the handbill for the play.

John King Tarpinian

ImageGreenTown.jpg (40 Kb, 17 downloads) Green Town

posted Hide Post
Beautiful! JKT! I received a very gracious message from Mr. B. last week in response to the scroll.
What a thoughtful man!

Enjoy the event and sharing of time!
fp

(I've made a copy of the handbill. Thanks.)

posted Hide Post
Here a a series of photos, the hard way, of Green Town flyers and the stage.

John King Tarpinian

ImageGreenTown.JPG (24 Kb, 14 downloads)