Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Snap out if it, Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snap out if it, Ray
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Ray Bradbury,

I have been a reader and appreciator of your work for at least 54 years - I can remember that far back. I bought your books. So you owe me the time it takes to read this one little letter regarding Michael Moore's film title.

1 - No one will ever mistake Michael Moore's film for your novel nor vice versa.

2 - You have not copyrighted the word Fahrenheit. In fact, it is another man's name and did you ask permission of him or his estate when you titled your book?

3 - Neither do you have a copyright on the use of numbers in a title as in "Cloud 9" or "Henry the Eighth" or "Butterfield 8" et al.

4 - Nor is the concept of your title in itself so unique that it cannot be used similarly by others. For example, the "Antique Collector's Bible" does not run the risk of being mistaken for either the Old or New Testament.

Your novel, Fahrenheit 451, is a wonderful book - so widely read and with such an important message that it may be said to be part of the canon of 20th century literature. Michael Moore's film, as it happens, treats present-day manifestations of the same sort of power-driven destruction of history and truth as your novel did. Fighting that kind of craziness is important, whether in fiction or in real life. Be flattered that your concept has become a byword. Be grateful that people like Moore are still willing to fight that good fight - especially as his fire-breathing dragons are in the here and now, a clear and present danger to him and to all of us.

Don't make things difficult. None of this is costing you one red cent unless you make an ill-tempered issue of it. Snap out of it. Get on side.

Thank you,

Martin
Victoria, BC
Canada

Posts: 6 | Location: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please understand the issues before making accusations.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old Friend,

I don't think this will turn out negatively for Ray Bradbury, in terms of his books sold, and his name becoming known to a wider audience, irrespective of what he does. Those who know him well have already bought his books or won't stop buying them on account of this.

Those who don't know him apart from this controversy are more likely to buy his books than before.

It's a win/win situation for Ray Bradbury, and frankly, a marketer would play this to the hilt, accusing Michael Moore of anything possible to prolong media attention!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. I don't really know much about the whole F451 and F911 ordeal but I do know that since F911 came out Michael Moore has gotten a lot of negative feedback.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only know a little about Ray Bradbury, but I believe it may be in his personality to protect his works. Honestly I don't blame him, if I was such a good writer I would probably be proud and watchful of my work as well. I feel like this is a situation that calls for respect from both sides. But I guess that's probably pretty close to asking for something like peace on earth.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post