Ray Bradbury Forums
Lost in Translation

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/8901053843

30 November 2007, 09:35 AM
Doug Spaulding
Lost in Translation
And Deep Discount DVD has it for only $12.06 - and free shipping - what a bargain!

And what a strange price.

"Live Forever!"
30 November 2007, 12:27 PM
biplane1
My family and I really enjoyed The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (I have it on VHS) and I find it interesting that Joseph Mantegna is now leading the cast of Criminal Minds on CBS.
30 November 2007, 01:02 PM
philnic
The "Nickelby" DVD is disappointing from a value-for-money point of view - the film is quite short, and there are no extras.

Although the adaptation is OK (and the typical Bradbury small town is presented well), I didn't find the film to have the magic of The Electric Grandmother or SWTWC. And since the plot is somewhat far-fetched, magic is precisely what it needs to make it seem plausible.

I seem to recall a radio version of Nickelby (one of those "75th birthday"-type shows), which worked rather nicely...the magic of radio.

I've always said Bradbury works better on radio than on film, because the imagery on radio comes from the same source as the imagery in the books: it's Ray's words talking directly to your mind. Film puts too much in the way, so that it takes a really great film-maker to pull it off. And , unfortunately, not many truly great film-makers have attempted Bradbury.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
30 November 2007, 03:32 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
And, unfortunately, not many truly great film-makers have attempted Bradbury.

I think Darabont will be the first!

"Live Forever!"
30 November 2007, 03:35 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
And since the plot is somewhat far-fetched, magic is precisely what it needs to make it seem plausible.

This past summer's play here in LA, Green Town incorporated the same storyline - Charles Dickens comes to Green Town and takes the boy into his confidence and even hires him on as his taker-down-of-words. With ticonderoga pencil even! Very well done.

"Live Forever!"
30 November 2007, 03:36 PM
Doug Spaulding
Ticonderoga is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
30 November 2007, 04:36 PM
Nard Kordell
biplane: Sat in a bar over a beer back in 1975, when Joe Mantegna said he was coming to LA to be an actor. He was portraying Gomez, in a Chicago production of Wonderful Ice Cream Suit at the time. His first job in Los Angeles (that I know of)...was doing TV ads for Yellow Pages.
03 December 2007, 08:23 PM
biplane1
Nard, thank you for the interesting anecdote. And to think that his involvement dates back that far.

So far I am enjoying him in the new show, although I am getting a bit appalled as to the realism the shows are displaying. Do they need to be so gory?