Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    PRUNES!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRUNES!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
LMFAO!!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5NxG_rr5aU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5NxG_rr5aU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How's that for Ray's Legacy!!
I was tempted to post it in the topic about fruits!!! Hahaha.....
BTW, since the embedding didn't work, here's a direct link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A5NxG_rr5aU

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey groon, I posted a link to that ad LAST July. (Prunes must be a July thing!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prunes, eh? Perhaps a antidote to the clogging effect of all that barbecue Californians consume in the summer?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here...

Prunes? Pure fiction, I say! There is no such thing as prunes. Never has been. Never will be. Not in a million trillion years...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canis Mogus,
Having spent the '60s in the Santa Clara Valley, I can inform you that there are plums and there are prunes. There are also dried plums and dried prunes. Many folks (and folkettes) believe prunes to be dried plums; not so!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DRIED prunes? They must be very dry indeed.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canis Mogus here...

What you have been calling a prune all these years has simply been a European variety of freestone plum that is ideal for drying. The plums that originated in China, commonly referred to as the Japanese variety, are best eaten fresh. Satsuma and Santa Rosa plums are the most well-known examples.

All kidding aside, the California Prune Board changed the name from prunes to dried plums back in the year 2000 in hopes that it could sweeten the image of its nutrient-packed little cuties so that the young health-conscious folks would not conjur up images of their grandparents popping their daily dose of laxatives.

Mrs. Bentley may be long gone, but Alice and Jane are alive and well as honorary members of the California Prune Board.

MTD aka CM

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True enough, but the farmers and processors in the valley made the distinction. Of course, now the Santa Clara valley is mostly concrete and asphalt...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
DRIED prunes? They must be very dry indeed.

Have you never felt uncomfortable, Phil, during an evening's viewing when the DulcoEase ad comes on?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
True enough, but the farmers and processors in the valley made the distinction. Of course, now the Santa Clara valley is mostly concrete and asphalt...

Indeed, everything seems to turn to concrete and asphalt in the absence of prune consumption.

MTD

posted Hide Post
Tinkerbell, do I get the idea that DulcoEase is perhaps a laxative ? Just wondering!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Have you never felt uncomfortable, Phil, during an evening's viewing when the DulcoEase ad comes on?

I've never seen it, nor heard of the product (but I can infer what it is/does, thankyou very much). Thanks to TiVo, I rarely watch live telly these days, and usually skip the ads.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
What you have been calling a prune all these years has simply been a European variety of freestone plum that is ideal for drying.

Canis Mogus is right: "a prune is a dried fruit of various plum species, mostly Prunus domestica or European Plums."

And that's straight from the wiki, so it must be true!

I've a batch in refrigerator - they're tasty for breakfast.

Prunus is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...mostly concrete and asphalt...

Two different things, or the same? I believe concrete is actually made from dried European asphalt.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post