Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
...and to those really old members who don't remember they are members...
Welcome!

That reminds me, where's Biplane been?
and Rocket?
and Chapter 31?
.....?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
That reminds me, where's Biplane been?

On my Facepage (as my mum calls it).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
On my Facepage (as my mum calls it).

Facepage has taken over from MyFace.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Facepage has taken over from MyFace.

Thankfully!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I'm a newbie here born in the early 50's. I was introduced to Ray's work in Jr. High in an English text book. It made such an impression that I remember the exact details of that day (except the name of the story!)

We were doing "silent reading" before discussing some really sad boring story that I finished in about 5 minutes so I began to read ahead and found a really cool story that was so funny I couldn't help laughing. Since the rest were reading a story about a girl losing her grandmother, no one was impressed by my behavior.

I loved the story so much I wrote down the name of the author and went to the library at the first chance. That's when I found "Fahrenheit 451" and I was hooked. I can reread all those stories from "way back when" and understand and enjoy them just as much as that first story.

Posts: 10 | Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharon wrote
quote:
That's when I found "Fahrenheit 451" and I was hooked. I can reread all those stories from "way back when" and understand and enjoy them just as much as that first story.

Can definetly relate to that. Welcome!

If you haven't read them yet, check out the two novellas that comprise Ray Bradbury's Now and Forever, and the fairly recent collection, Summer Morning, Summer Night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born In Boston, Massachuetts
Live In Hackettstown, New Jersey.
Grew up in Pittsfield, Massachuetts...lived in a house just down the street from where Herman Melville lived and wrote "Moby Dick". (house is now a museum).

Regards,

Dave S.

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard the Board!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Dave. As mentioned elsewhere, we adore our Bostonians. But what I want to know is, is anyone here from New Zealand?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveS.:
...lived in a house just down the street from where Herman Melville lived and wrote "Moby Dick"...

You probably know Bradbury's anecdote about writing the screenplay for the 1956 film of MOBY DICK. He was struggling to get the script to work until one day he woke up, stared at himself in the mirror and declared "I am Herman Melville!"

After that, the script just flowed.

So he says, anyway.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1958
Died Unknown date but followed Ambrose into Mexico...
Raised in the a Jersey Barrio.
Found Ray in a heap of books in the world's smallest bookstore.
Saved by the man and his great mind...
Thanks.

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, booklover, to a gathering of kindred spirits!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1947, London (England) suburbs.
Grew up in Kent.
Moved to wonderful we(s)t Wales 1987.
Discovered Ray (can I call him Uncle Ray? Just seems to suit) 50 years ago.

I felt an instant connection - miles and continents had nothing to do with it. He writes not American nor English. He writes human. The connection was ....like a zip. He speaks to anyone with a soul. I am so lucky to be one of those people.

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THAT IS SO AWESOME, YOU GREW UP IN KENT! Please allow me to get excited! This is one of the few places I am allowed to get excited! And you are human, and have a soul! Sorry, not to slight anyone I didn't get this excited about! I see nothing wrong with calling him Uncle. Walt Whitman considered himself a spiritual father to all his readers and I think Ray sees himself pretty much the same.

Ray has written some of the best things in ANY language since human speech was invented. He makes brilliant use of English and doesn't speak any other language but is not confined by the bounds of English.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
THAT IS SO AWESOME, YOU GREW UP IN KENT! Please allow me to get excited! This is one of the few places I am allowed to get excited! And you are human, and have a soul! Sorry, not to slight anyone I didn't get this excited about!

Aww shucks Dandy, I fear you tease!

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post