Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi, Braling II! No, I certainly remember J.P.Patches and Gertrude! And, oh God, I even remember Lloyd Cooney's commentary on KIRO. i loved watching 'Nightmare Theater' on Friday night, and 'Sci-Fi Theater' on Sundays. I guess those early formative influences shaped my taste in literature!

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle WA King | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think watching "Clutch Cargo" cartoons on "Captain Puget" gave some kids nightmares! (These were the ones that had nearly static animation with real human mouths superimposed on the faces - pretty creepy.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one has posted here for a long time, but-
I was born (1964) and raised in a small desert town about 90 miles from Death Valley (California). Certainly a far cry from Greentown, environment-wise, but populated by displaced Okies/Arkies and their descendants for the most part. Spent most of my summers as a small child in Missouri and Arkansas- porch swings,iced tea, Fourth of July.
No comprehension problems here- in fact, I think the world would be a better place if more homes had porches rather than TV sets.
Critics say Greentown is nostalgia for a time that never was, but I know it's not so- and I have my own porch swing.

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,
Born March 11th,1983. Raised in South Carolina. Currently in Florida. The guy who said you need to have been born in the 20's,30's,etc to get ray is drinking a huge cup of BS.

Im of the new generation, and i love the book. it paints the picture of a time ive never seen, and i still am trapped in it. in fact i wouldn't ever list Ray's work as hard-to-read fiction.

His skill with words make the thoughts flow along.

I mean, im a 22yrs old, I listen to metal/grindcore/etc, music,((and even a amatuer muscican)) and never have left the eastern seaboard, or been north of north carolina, and yet i can clearly see a picture of Venice Beach in its heyday, or Illinois, and even mars,lol, when i read ray.

it doesn't take a type of person, or select crowd to enjoy his work. its so rich its even jump started my old urge to write,even. All you need to do is read a few pages and your sucked in.

cya,
Gary.

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen, I am only 21 (just turned actually) and I thoroughly enjoy Bradbury's work and have been posting here for some time. I am sure that those who have read my previous statements would not place me as young as I actually am. Age is not necessary for intelligence nor for wisdom. All that is necessary is experience--experience which I think many of us glean simply from reading Bradbury's work. However, being brought up to think intelligently and to delve into everything with all your heart helps too! Thank you for bringing up this age thing, I think it is important for people to understand that age does NOT equal intelligence!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone from here wants to chat with me, please call me by Scype (my account is 'pavelgubarev' or GTalk (same account).

It would be a great pleasure for me to talk with RB fans from US or Great Britain or whatever...

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, do you mean actual on-the-phone chat, or e-mail? Some medium other than this board?
I like your web site, by the way.
By the way again, are you getting ready for масленица ?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pavel, do you mean actual on-the-phone chat

Yes, i mean voice, not text. For text messages this board is the best.

quote:
I like your web site, by the way.

Thank you!

quote:
By the way again, are you getting ready for масленица ?

Oh Smiler As for me -- no. But my parents and grandmother do, for sure Smiler

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, I had a very nice 'phone chat with Biplane awhile back. He actually speaks with Ray fairly frequently, so is a good guy to talk with about the man...

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I would like to anyone, just to chat with foregin one, because i have such an opportunity rather seldom. So, if anyone wishes, just tell me account, i'll make a call.

See you!

posted Hide Post
Like Ray, I grew up on the western shore of Lake Michigan, in Milwaukee instead of Waukegan. That I was born 40 years later hasn't mattered -- I felt so much resonance when I read "Dandelion Wine" for the first time. We spent our summers playing outdoors, and going to the library was always a big treat for me. I liked talking to old people and learning about old things, and the every Big Unknown Mystery in life filled me with awe.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born a poor white tailed prarie dog in the southwestern deserts of Utah. My father was eaten by a coyote when I was young, so the task of supporting all 179 siblings fell to my mother. She worked her claws to nubs to provide us with a hole we called home. My best friend growing up was a jackrabbit named Steve, we had great times together taunting the hunters in thier silly hats and deficient number of legs.

Then one day somthing happend that would change my life forever, or at least 3 years or so. I discovered my friend Steve was carousing with some of my sisters! He told them he was related to the easter bunny to impress them, huh, and to make matters worse he gave them Lyme disease. Well your either a prarie dog or a mouse, and I am no mouse. I decided right then and there to take revenge upon Steve, I would end his life.

To end life is the greatest sin among herbavours, I knew I had to leave, before I was driven from my home. I stuffed my cheeks, said goodbye to my Lyme diseased family, and moved on.

I'm sorry, it's all getting to me, maybe I will finish my tale another time.Frowner

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Poor [Steve] is dead, a pillow for his head.”

Don’t stop now! Here, I put another stick of wood on the campfire. What happens next?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a "Gary Larson" here somewhere, I just know it.....

My fav is the alien who trips and tumbles down the ramp, the the other one says,"way to instill fear and awe in them." Another good one is the alien who locks the keys in the spaceship. God love him, hey speaking of God...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool I was born in California and moved to Washington State fifteen years later. In between, my single mother (a clone of Auntie Mame) dragged me to San Francisco, the Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, even Midway and Kwajalein Atoll...she got around. I think she just liked to travel to weird places, because she wasn't in the service.
Now I live in small town outside of Seattle and run two businesses. One, the business that actually pays the bills, does upscale housecleaning for high-end customers. Took me a few years to start liking it, really, because I am a definite Northwest type. (lol)
The other business is Adventure Books of Seattle We publish, we write, it's all good. I like AB more than my regular job, and sometimes give it more of my time!

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post