Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
hey groon, have you ever done a reproduction of a RB Tale? My friends and I re-did "The Women" on a visit to the beach last summer. For my class I have to do a short film every quarter (a remake and an original)and I am thinking of which RB story to re-do. any suggestions?

Posts: 26 | Location: Snellville, GA, United States | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rm-r

I am impressed with your use of the Latin i.e., short for id est, or that is. Hardly anyone uses that today. I find this fantastic. Did you take Latin, or how did you come about to use i.e.? I would really enjoy knowing and I know that Ray would be impressed as well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane:
I too enjoy seeing the usage of the old Latin phrases and abbreviations (e.g: Q.E.D, Q.V, ETC!) and I know what they all mean. However, I'm distressed with the misusage of same by those, especially in the media, who should know better...
Enjoying your posts - somewhat prolix, but perspicacious!
Abeunt studia in mores!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1956 in Ostend, Belgium and still live there. I clearly recall the Golden Sixties and the feeling of adventurous expectancy that permeated the air - truly incredible times. Discovering science fiction at an early age (Bradbury, Matheson, Wyndham, Sheckley, Asimov, Dick, Clarke, Russell, Brown) was a turning point. I guess I was tickled by the sense of freedom (dare one say liberalism?) emanating from the stories I read, a freedom wholly lacking in the fabric of Belgian and European society.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At (just turned) 49, I'm a child of the late sixties/early seventies, and science fiction, also. Bradbury started me off with the sensitivity to the value of ideas and the importance of religious/spiritual (non-traditional, in his case) that I picked up in F451 (ideas) and religious/spiritual issues (Somthing Wicked and Martian Chronicles, early on).

I also loved the arena of science fiction as a place where all kinds of ideas could be bantered about in this creative explosion. I loved growing up in that environment. There certainly were excesses (I have lost friends to drugs and alcohol and some still struggle to overcome them), but loved the era's explosion of new ideas (or regurgetated old ideas) where we tried to challenge everything that could be challenged. In the intellectual arena, much of that challenging was encountered in science fiction.

By the way, I think intellectual and political liberalism are two different things -- with some areas of overlap. I think one can be intellectually liberal without being politically liberal, and vice versa.

Political liberals tend to think that all intellectual activity leads to political liberalism. I don't share that perspective.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither do I. When any kind of political idea or system obstructs individual freedom of thought and speech too strongly it should be dispensed with altogether. Unfortunately when one values and advocates individual freedom too strongly, sooner or later one is bound to clash with 'the system' as it stands.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1985, in Russia, Syberia, Altai...and now live here with my mother. Maybe too young to discuss intellectual and political liberalism ... My words might seem too primitive but still. I love RB's books because they give freedom that I don't have in my real life... there is no falseness, there is no meanness that I see at every turn... the feelings are true. I need to believe in something bright and pure. His books gave me hope and happiness. It sounds stupid but it is the way I feel.
Perhaps, I'm not able to understand the very meaning of his books. Hundred times I cried reading them...I have just finished one, and don't know where I can get another. Sometimes it's hard to find a good book in Russia, especially if it was written recently. Tomorrow I�ll check all our book-shops one more time.

Yours,
Alexandra

Posts: 12 | Location: Russia, Altai | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now wait a minute... I am and was born in USA West Coast too... Okay I admit i am a 1972-ite...

But i got and started into Ray Bradbury's books when I was a Freshman in High School and enjoyed them... I can follow Mr, Bradbury's work and stories JUST fine and their notes toward a period long past. Even before my time on this world.

BOGGLE! A person who cannot follow Ray Bradbury's Stories? GASP!!!! Inconceivable!

My favorite will always be Farienheit 451. A good film too... A scarey look at what this world and America COULD be... I have a rather LARGE book collection: Them burning it, my response is, "Like Hell they will."
"Over my DEAD body..." hehehehehe

Although that story did inspire my own, called "Earthworld X" A dark look at another way this world can be messed up.

I do however have good second thirds and fourths

Martian Chronicles (another good book and film) (2nd)

Something Wicked This Way Comes. (3rd)

Best Short Stories of Ray Bradbury (4th)

Yestermorrow (5th)

Thanks to Ray for that commentary book. It was very helpful when I read it to adopt a couple of Ray Bradbury Theologies.

1. I do have an office sort of like his where I write, and unlike him I do not have alot of stuff, but enough of soveneirs and so forth that inspired good stories.

Usally I take a pad everywhere I go and if I see something unusual, I will write it down...

My thanks to RB for that. It helped me get myself to think more coherently and be more observant.

Nathaniel Miller

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, NV USA | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello!
born in '67, I turn 37 on august 05th

living, from the first cry, in Bergamo (Italy)a nice two-face town not so far from Milan.

discovered RB (martians chronicle)in the summer of 1979 (it was a school advice);
from this time I hunt to every issue in Italy, and it isn't so easy like it seems!

i love his way to write, also about an american way of life so different to mine.
and his suspended novels' end !!!!!!!!

I think that if someone do not understand RB is because he doesn't have an open mind,
he has never dreamed to flight in the spirit of a bug or to be a crow!
Poor unlucky boy!

ciao

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
poorlittletally,
No, I haven't adapted any RB stories to film, simply because I've been focusing more on writing original scripts, sorry. I'd love to see your adaptation, however...
Recently finished shooting a cheesy ninja movie, and am beginning editing and special effects work. It's gonna be good, I'm pleased with the footage, but much work still needs to be done. Keep me updated on any other projects you do. I still think it'd be cool if a few of us from this site could get together and collaborate on a project....hmmm....

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey groon, what a great idea. It could be a global collaboration! Where I teach we have a lot of technical resources (see some of my students' work here - the more drama-based stuff is towards the bottom of the page). (While you're there, sign our guestbook!) Any thoughts on how we could go ahead with this?

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 07-20-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, start a new thread about it.

Second, decide on a medium--book, recording, film, or multimedia.

For starters.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, looks like a very impressive program going on over there! I'm gonna start a new thread about this collaboration project, so if anyone has been following THIS thread, keep an eye open.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1 -

I can't remember when I learned to use "ie". I've always loved reading older works, and as such, use some obscure terms and spellings.

When I was reading a lot of the sisters Bronte novels a few months ago, I was using all kinds of ye olde english phrasings in my daily speech. My coworkers were giving me some bizarre looks.

I have never studied Latin, though I would love to. I'm currently tackling Russian, which at least uses the same alphabet!

[This message has been edited by rm-r (edited 07-21-2004).]

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ye gods, do Americans (i.e., citizens of the USA) not use i.e.? I hadn't noticed this before.

It's quite common here in the UK. Admittedly, many people confuse it with e.g.

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post