Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Michigan!

I don't mind if I seem to comprehend rays writings or not.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Brits love tea
(to drink), although apparently recent research shows that coffee has now become more popular. Posh people, such as HM The Queen, have "afternoon tea" at around 4pm, consisting of a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Ordinary folks have "tea" as their evening meal...and this may or may not include a cup of tea.

Now do you understand why Lewis Carroll had a mad hatter give a tea party?

- Phil

...who really thinks this has drifted way off topic!

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mancunian brother-in-law and family were here for a visit and drank Nescafe much more frequently than tea.
By the way, there's a great book out by Lynn Truss (British) entitled "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" (The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation). A delightful read, and one from which many "emailers" would derive great benefit!
Oh, yeah - Bradbury!
Nearly forgot.
I've just finished his latest.
Is it available in the UK?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nescafe...yes, I forgot to mention that although Brits now drink more coffee than tea, most of it is instant. We have lots of Starbucks etc now, but the British way is to go in and say, "Coffee, please" (none of that mocha/latte nonsense for us).

The Cat's Pajamas is available here, but it's the American edition. I haven't seen it in any bookshops yet, only on Amazon UK and similar.

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One reason the Brits (a people dear to my heart) used to be so utterly phlegmatic is the quaffing of tea instead of coffee. You get an 'up' from tea as well, but the 'high' is more evenly spread and it doesn't make you jittery the way coffee does.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gothic:
...the Brits (a people dear to my heart) used to be so utterly phlegmatic

So what are we NOW? Wait, don't answer that!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Gothic,
Tea's been called "the cup that cheers, but doesn't inebriate".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been enjoying everyone's posts very much, although have not been able to check them for a few days.

Having taken two years of Latin in high school and a year in college, you'd think I'd be a Latin Scholar, but alas, that is not the case. Had Ray gone to college, somehow I can see him taking Latin.

Over the years I have enjoyed recalling certain Latin idioms, one of my favorites is tempus fugit. I am sure that most everyone can figure out what that means, especially since you can many times see it at the top of Grandfather Clocks.

I am thinking of calling Ray this weekend to see how he is doing. Since he gave me his phone number many years ago I have tried not to abuse the privilege of having his number, but he always thanks me for calling, which I think is very nice.

If I do I'll have a post as to the conversation with Ray.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 08-06-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favourites is:
abeunt studia in mores!
By the way, I've seen "tempus fugit - vita brevis" on many a sundial as well.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 08-06-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I sure am having fun reading everyone's posts. I was born in Columbus, Mississippi in 1962. Raised in Haines City, Florida. Did my army hitch at Fort Polk, Louisiana, went to college in Portland, Oregon. I've lived in Cleveland, NYC, and now in Austin, Texas. I didn't realize what an international bunch of folks y'all are. It's very uplifting to know RB has reached so many people and brought them together here.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't call Ray this past weekend, but I did find photos which I thought were lost. They were of my wife and daughters and myself with Ray when we visited in 1996.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally called Ray the other day and he sounded fine. He said he working on another book! What eneregy the guy has.

posted Hide Post
I also took latin. Here's my favorite:

"Hostes aliengeni me abduxerunt! Qui annus est!?"

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Memento Mori.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nemo me lacessit impune.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post