Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by ZRTMWA:
I'm from Catonsville, Maryland, a suburb of Baltimore City.

Why, you're a mere 37 miles from me - I'm currently located in Largo, MD. If you ever make your way down there, I'll show you my Bradbury collection, which includes many signed first-edition hardcovers, along with various and sundry stuffs!

Whoa! I can't believe I missed this! I've lived in Maryland all my life and never even heard of Largo lol

SIGNED FIRST EDITION HARDCOVERS!?!?!?!? [/DROOL]

Might Dandelion Wine be one of those? I saw in Amazon Marketplace unsigned first edition hardcovers of Dandelion Wine were selling for $500ish

Posts: 17 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...SIGNED FIRST EDITION HARDCOVERS!?!?!?!? [/DROOL]...

Doug, you'd better put a clear plastic wrapper around those first editions, as drool-protectors!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElegantLion:
Some writing is ageless.

In retrospect, some writing is tasteless!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might Dandelion Wine be one of those? I saw in Amazon Marketplace unsigned first edition hardcovers of Dandelion Wine were selling for $500ish

Unfortunately not. But I do have this lovely edition from PS Pub.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Doug, you'd better put a clear plastic wrapper around those first editions, as drool-protectors!

The good ones are brodart'd. The even better ones are sealed in plastic.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Unfortunately not. But I do have this lovely edition from PS Pub.

I've never seen that cover before, and with an intro by Stephen king?! WOW!

Posts: 17 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never seen that cover before, and with an intro by Stephen king?! WOW!

Steve once said "when God made Ray Bradbury, he broke the mold."

Hopefully the King short film I produced will be coming to a film festival near you sometime this year (depending on how fast my editor works!) . It's called Suffer the Little Children.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hi, Forum Members!

I am from TUCSON, Arizona. One of Ray's boyhood homes. In fact, he once spoke at Tucson High--I think he went there for a year. I pass houses almost every day on North Stone(one of which was probably his family's rental place.) This is no longer the edge of town. Similar to Ray, I was born and grew up in the Chicago area. So I am, like Ray, a mid-westerner who moved to the Tucson desert.

I teach at a English and composition community college and I am a research associate at the local university (grants funded projects).

But I was only in the single-digits of age for the '50s. So being of that Boomer Gen did not preclude me from greatly enjoying Bradbury's writing.

I will be sharing bits of Sam Weller's bio. with my classes and will have them sign up in a couple of weeks when we are reading part of _The Martian Chronicles_.

It is better get oriented myself before the students take the plunge, so that they get the most from the experience. How different from the days when I took college English. No writer forums then!

I found a critical essay that compares frontier homesteading with _TMC_.

"Homesteading on the Extraterrestrial Frontier."
Author(s): Carl Abbott
Source: _Science Fiction Studies_, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Jul., 2005), pp. 240-264.

Hope this may be of use to some of you here. One challenge with increasingly younger students is to demonstrate the value of mind traveling in time via textual sources, such as historical newspapers. This is something that we SF readers do by nature but for many of my students here in Arizona, this is the first time they have been asked to move from their own time and imagine themselves into another.

Using Ray's "behavioral optimism," I try to get them to see my enthusiasm.

Cheers,
Gloria

Posts: 14 | Location: Arizona  | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WELCOME, WONDERFUL NEW MEMBERS!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1995 in virginia. I am only fourteen, however I remain in love with Bradbury's work.

Posts: 6 | Location: Washington, US | Registered: 17 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hillary:
I was born in 1995 in virginia. I am only fourteen, however I remain in love with Bradbury's work.

That's a love which will live forever!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any new members since April? A friendly welcome awaits your announcement!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gidday all - another new member. I live in Sydney, Australia, grew up in New Zealand and was born in '62 so not meant to get Ray at all but I've been reading and loving Ray's books and stories since a very early age. I only just found this site while trying to find out if Ray was alive and well...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Olddantucker! You are among friends here. I'm also a '62er.
You might like the following 22 minute interview with Ray Bradbury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF3uZf4G3Lo
Best, Linnl

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great - thanks Linnl. Much appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post