Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Yea, Frank Darabont!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yea, Frank Darabont!!
 Login/Join

posted
Frank,

Good luck to you in the remake of F-451! When you entrust your childhood dreams into the film of a lifetime, nothing but good will come your way.
Save me a front row seat at the premiere near Ray!
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-film.html?2004-09/24/13.00.film

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just hope he doesn't make it too political. That would kill it if he tied political agenda to it, but I'm sure it'll be fine though, and the fact that he co-produced the recent film "Collateral" (awesomeness) gives me great hope. At least we know he has good taste.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope it's not as schmaltzy as the Shawshank Redemption or The Majestic. Good movies, but my god the man does not know when to let up!

"The drain of talent - pure talent - from one single department, Feature Animation, has been absolutely gut-wrenching in the past year. People are being asked to leave because management - meaning Michael Eisner - can't figure out what to do with them. That is not the fault of the talent... it's the fault of management." <br />�Roy E. Disney <br /><br />savedisney.com<br />for future generations

Posts: 47 | Location: wilmington, DE, USA | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember way back in 1996 Ray telling me as I sat across from him in his living room/library that Mel Gibson had bought the rights to F451. And to think that almost ten years later it might get re-made.
Wow!

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 02-03-2005).]

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 is an inherently political movie. I don't see how it can be made without an attendant political subtext. I think you should be more worried about your "news" being brought to you without a political agenda.

quote:
Originally posted by groon:
I just hope he doesn't make it too political. That would kill it if he tied political agenda to it, but I'm sure it'll be fine though, and the fact that he co-produced the recent film "Collateral" (awesomeness) gives me great hope. At least we know he has good taste.

Posts: 15 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. I loved The Shawshank Redemption. Although there were a couple slow spots, I also enjoyed The Majestic.

I do think there is an inherent politcal bent to F451 -- but that depends on what you mean by political. If you mean it would necessarily be anti-Republican or anti-Democratic, I think that would be assuming too much.

I also think the story is inherently a moral tale on what happens when we cede our right to learn and lose our desire to learn. Some of the censorship was self-driven through laziness and fear. Not all censorship was imposed by government.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree totally, Mr. Dark. I was actually going to write something similar, but now I don't need to. I just don't want somebody to turn it into a this party/that party right and left kind of thing. I'm so sick of hearing people say "oh F451 is about this candidate or that party or etcetera." I really feel that those people have missed the point. The book is about people in general, about conformity, about the powers of the masses over the individual. And, yes it is about government and censorship, but not about partisan politics. I thought the film "the Manchurian Candidate" (both versions, though I never read the book) did a really good job of creating political intrigue that instilled a horror of the government, yet did not make a target out of any particular party, creed, or individual. It simply played on the evil greed and shiftiness of politicians in general.

So yes, while F451 can not avoid being political in one sense of the word, I originally meant that it should not be loaded with political agenda.

P.S. I really dislike the fact that Hollywood only does remakes and adaptations these days, but I must say the new version of the Manchurian Candidate with Denzel was really great!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any one with an update on F451 re-make which brought Mr. B and Mr. D together about a year ago? Things sure do seem to move slowly in Hollywood.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post