Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    IMPORTANT!!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMPORTANT!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
you guys, nobody answered my last question.

it was:
did ray bradbury intend for it to be said "four-five-one" "four-fifty-one" or "four hundred-fifty one"?

Posts: 2 | Location: authierville, phoenix, natlantis | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the middle one, but I don't know Bradbury's intention or preference on it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years back when Ray was in Chicago premiering "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" movie, he did a question answer session after the movie. At that time he pronounced it four-five-one. It sticks in my mind because I had always said it the other way--four-fifty-one, and ever since have said it "Ray's way."

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Ray always said "four-five-one" but was waiting for someone to confirm it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard him pronounce it "four-five-one".

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone else hear Ray tonight on CNBC? Andrea Mitchell did a short telephone interview of him, and he did pronounce it four-five-one. Anyway, he said that when Moore finally got around to calling him last week, he was very embarrassed and apologetic and said he had grown up on Ray's books and felt awful about what had happened. He said, "I just didn't realize what I was doing." Ray told him, "All I want is for you to give my title back." Moore said he would get back to Ray about that in a few days, and guess what? He never did. Surprise, surprise!! When Andrea Mitchell asked Ray if he wanted a portion of the profits he said emphatically that he did not, and that all he wanted was his title back. She asked him if he planned on seeing the movie. He said that he wouldn't mind seeing it, but that now he won't go out of his way to go to it. He said if Michael Moore gave him a private screening, he would watch it, but he would not change his mind about the movie. He said that he objects to his title being used in a political way. It was a short but good interview, but he didn't sound as strong and forceful as usual. I know in another post someone mentioned he had just gotten out of the hospital. I hope he's doing OK.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for posting that, it's interesting. I'm not in the least surprised he wanted no profits. For one, he didn't contribute to the film, and for another, accepting any proceeds from it would associate him with the film which is exactly what he does NOT want. So glad to see this, as it knocks yet another hole in the arguments of those who would call him "greedy."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the Anrea Mitchell interview which I missed. When I spoke with Ray he did not have nice things to say about Mr. Moore. And yes, his voice was not as strong as it usually is when I have visited with him. But then if any of us had been in the hospital for a week, we probably wouldn't sound too strong either.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post