Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That is sad, possibly now becoming the norm. I've missed your stories and humor lately Chap, hope everything's okay with you man.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All’s well. Hope all is well with you. By the way, there is a young teenage girl in New York City who recently went back into a burning building five times to save five family members. The city is now treating her as one of “New York’s Bravest”.

Ray told me there’d be days like that too.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I call a hero! In a world full of selfishness and greed, it is all the more magnificent and uplifting to hear of someone's selfless act especially in the face of danger.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the mall a couple days ago, saw a family- Mom, Dad, teen, all talking on their cell phones, and a little one about 6 in their wake, looking like one of those black velvet puppy paintings with big sad eyes. I think people talk on them to avoid talking to the people around them. I don't have one-

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, despite the ambient noise (music?) of the world around us, I think some people feel they need constant aural input. Not LISTENING, mind you, just hearing...

"Denham's Dentifrice! Denham's Dentifrice! Denham's Dentifrice!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
==========================================
This 'YOUTUBE' video, is one of the best online videos of its kind I've yet seen. Watch the entire thing. It's less than a minute long. It is 'NOT' what you may first think it is...

http://www.youtube.com/v/SmLhyPjHVes

==========================================

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
===============================================
Just in case anyone thought that this was still 1999...check out the picture icons on the right side of this website:
http://www.research.philips.com/newscenter/pictures/ldm-lighting.html
===============================================

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golly, Mr. Wizard!

Actually, I prefer to get a new pair of sneakers and tell others how they feel, rather than the shoes doing so for me!

But then, I am old enough to remember when there was such a thing as a bad haircut!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I awoke this morning to the sounds of something like a “War of the Worlds” tripod rampaging down my street but knew right away what it was. It was the sound of the garbage truck and its robot arm picking up the cookie cutter trash cans and dumping them into its belly. When I see those things, mandated by the community, standing in rows down the street, I think of Morlock-like structures in my little Eloi community. I’d prefer to have my own choice of garbage can and pay for more trash collectors rather than less and not have to endure this Big Brother-you’re-going-to-use-the-same-as-everyone-else kind of mandate. Makes me want to read “The Fountainhead” (the individual against the collective) or mount up and charge a windmill.

Ultimately though, I have to admit that what ever system they use to get rid of the trash is better than no system at all--and I hesitate to say it but, I love the sound of trash cans in the morning. It sounds like…civilization!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, I have always wondered why they have to do such activities such as garbage collection, roof repair, or other equally loud noise producing, etc., etc., so early in the morning when people are trying to sleep?

I am not going to complain though, as a garbage company happens to be one of my newest clients for our recruitment publication.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap & Plane,
You've got me thinking.
As a musician, I've spent most of my life learning to listen (as opposed to merely hearing) so I can't just shut out aural input like many others can.
The trash behemoths here aren't quite as large and noisy as in big cities, but they are early.
Apart from people booming forth their lack of musical taste from their cars (don't get me started on that!), one of the sounds I find most annoying is leaf blowers.
Two of my favourite suburban noises are lawn sprinklers and lawn mowers (especially push mowers!).

posted Hide Post
A few years ago because of DW, I went out and bought a push mower at a secondhand shop (works great, only requires a shot of WD40 from time to time). I have been known to go out to cut the lawn at 10:00pm (or later) on a warm summer night. The late eve joggers who go through our very quiet neighborhood always get a kick out of my timing! ("Walking. Just Walking!" becomes "Jogging?" "Just mowing!" - a mixed metaphor!)

As for booooming music at the corner store or gas station, I quickly try to find some classical symphony music playing on a public radio station, or maybe an obscure opera. If I happen across a REAL Country station with Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, or Flatts and Scruggs (and the like) - Great stuff!! - that works just fine.

I crank it up a bit and roll down the windows to share "my" experience. I have received some very strange looks from the BOOOMERS. Actually, I am surprised they can even hear the jab on my part at all, considering the damage those violently vibrating speakers must have had on the anatomy of their inner ears!?

As for wonderful sounds, BII: rain, when no other sound disturbs its falling. Autumn leaves underfoot, right at the top of the list!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great concept. Sounds! When many talk about those olfactory experiences, sometimes it's those ol' factory sounds as well. Working for years in printing, certain sounds jog the memory and senses, and often you have the olfactory to go with it as well... paper, chemicals, ink 'stuff' aerosoled thruout.

But nothing like voices. The voice of friends and family, long gone, can evoke the most incredible memories. From recordings, for instance.

Am thinking of stories Ray has written dealing with sounds...
'The Sound of Summer Running.' Well, there's one for sure.

posted Hide Post
Odd Library Photo #2

Encinco/Tarzana Library, where Ray spoke on Sep 13, 06
Check out RESOURCES for complete photo log of event

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

ImageOdd_library__2.JPG (250 Kb, 6 downloads) A crazy shape of the library. Looks like portions are tumbling apart.

posted Hide Post
Odd Library Photo #3

Check out RESOURCES for other photos pertaining to Encino/Tarzana Library event. September 13th, '06.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

ImageOdd_Library__3.JPG (258 Kb, 8 downloads)