Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
You are talking about being different, etc. and you gave me a student answer. I want to hear something deep and profound...and most of all, meaningful.

Well, I appreciate that, and I would love to but it would take hours, and besides, the greatest truth resides within the greatest simplicity. My statement above is extremely profound in its simplicity.

But I welcome the discussion, only I can't get into that now (I'm at work - shhh).

Thanks for the response!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Let's move on, shall we?

Oh, I don't know - it is ruled paper, after all!

Looks like I've stirred up quite the hornet's nest - good, good. Reminds me of a saying by Jesus about being a rock to make them stumble.

But seriously, I'm ready to quit talking whenever y'all are ready for me to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but the basics CANNOT change...

Only our perception of them changes.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Nard, have fun! I remember going as a kid in the '50s - even seeing Walt himself! I have a photo taken there of my brother, me, and Roy of the Mickey Mouse Club. I haven't been in years, but I know I'd get a little misty as soon as I stepped onto Main Street...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II: Back! It's 4:35PM. We have the yearly pass thing and the spur of the moment trips don't cost. And lo and behold, they AGAIN raised their admission pricefor non-card holders. $83.00 per person! Now there are two different parks, California Disney, and the original one. Two different admissions. Today, place was overcrowded, temps are in the mid 80's.

The way to do this and first thing in the morning. Lots of rides have changed, and they got rid of my favorite awhile back, the 360 degree round theater. Guess that's too stuffy. High-tech movie theater nowadays is 'Bug's Life Theater'. That'll surely get anyones heart a pumpin'.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have the yearly pass thing and the spur of the moment trips don't cost. And lo and behold, they AGAIN raised their admission pricefor non-card holders. $83.00 per person! Now there are two different parks, California Disney, and the original one. Two different admissions. Today, place was overcrowded, temps are in the mid 80's.

83$! Holy smoke! I'm glad we have the SoCal Residents Yearly Annual Thingy too.

We're next going the week of November 27th. You should come with - it'll be fun. And I promise I won't say a word about the Saviour!

Yeah, today would not have been ideal. Those Santa Ana's play havoc with my sinuses.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Who is Jesus Christ? He is The Lord Jesus Christ. He is the great I Am. He is the Trinity. He is totally human and He is totally God. He is were our sins go—but only by His grace. It doesn’t matter what we do—but it’s kind of nice to try to live a life he would approve of and to be an example.

When I think of Him He is the Maverick Rabbi and a totally selfless man who rejected wealth. And He is the first and only real Christian who ever lived. And all that we can really do is “try to love everyone we meet”—oh, and “always remember to take [our] hats off in elevators.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, that's THE question we will ALL have to answer; what He asked the disciples; "Who do YOU say that I am?"

Nardster, Eighty-three dollars?!?!?!

(though, I guess adding up all those "E tickets" in the '50s ...)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Was just reminded of a lovely film from 1945 called “Our Vines Have Tender Grapes” staring Edward G. Robinson, Margaret O’Brien and Agnes Moorehead.

More Agnes. And even more Moorehead.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This is an extremely humbling short video. So many concerns in our days and world today, yet this truly reveals the frivolousness of it all...

Mr. Bradbury always advised we get to Mars and then head for Alpha Centauri: http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

...the original Hubble lens was cut and polished (by the Corning Co.) in our hometown.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It you happen to be near Hollywood on September 13th you may wish to watch the 3D screening of Ray's It Came From Outer Space.

http://famousmonsters.com/arch...ld-3-d-film-expo-iii

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever the new owners do to the basement, it won't be right.

Could we start a Kickstarter and raise funds to buy the magical dandelion-yellow home and turn it into a shrine, a museum? Could we? Dare we? Is there a pragmatist who will talk us out of it?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I've been saying that should be done to the two Waukegan homes (his and his grandparents') for years!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.
Pragmatists be damned! Let's kickstart-buy it!

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've no objection to anyone here buying it, but since Doug asked for a pragmatist:

It's an empty house. None of Ray's possessions are there anymore.

His papers and ALL OF HIS FAMOUS BASEMENT OFFICE were bequeathed to Don Albright, who in turn has gifted most of them to the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies (run by Jon Eller, author of BECOMING RAY BRADBURY). The plan is to reconstruct Ray's office as an exhibit that people can go and see; while his papers will be available to anyone wanting to research Ray's works, life etc.

Meanwhile, Ray's library was bequeathed to the Waukegan Public Library.

Personal effects, I assume, went to the family. Valuable items such as original artwork have been put up for auction. Awards and "professional" memorabilia have gone to the Center for RB studies.

Rather than buy an empty house, and then spend further millions to fill it with replicas of Ray's possessions, I would prefer people to contribute to existing plans to continue Ray's legacy. The Center for RB Studies has the artefacts, but needs funds to be able to do the preservation and reconstruction work. If you want to give money, give it to the Center.

More info on this here!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post