Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"..not everyone's understanding of Christianity is the same."
I have been going to a Christian church because I love the people there. But, and this is a big but (no pun intended), I have serious problems with their belief that God could be so exclusive. Why would s-he-it send only one 'message'? I believe each person's understanding of God is as unique as that person themselves. Why can't people beleive they're right without making everyone else wrong?

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to read the Christian epistles. The epistles are simply written letters. Start easy. Start with a short story: Acts of the Apostles. Start on Chapter 3.

Christianity never says people are not unique. But it does say there is a common denominator: all must die, and there is a reason apart from the biological.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.

(By the way, there is a fine recording of it read by Michael York.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Start easy.

Also, if you want to keep it simple, read "The Gospel of Thomas" - the sayings of יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshua). Period. (So far as we know)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Doug, but I strongly disagree. For someone wanting to know about Christianity, this would hardly be "keeping it simple", but will cause confusion, due to its media-hyped controversial status and dubious (putting it mildly!) authenticity.

Check out anything by Chesterton, Fr. Thomas Hopko or Lewis for the basics.

Here's one of many sites explaining what I mean:
http://www.rocor.org.au/syezd2004/davinci.html

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Additionally, the Gospel of Thomas has always been considered heresy by mainline Churches, such as Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, as well as historically considered by most theologians thru the centuries. Nowadays, anything seemingly new is considered a discovery worth note.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I don't know you guys - I find I discover more truth by looking at things with a birds-eye view, which is to say to back way up and widen my perspective. Only then can you really get a clear look.

I like to strip away all that we (think we) know and start afresh, as if I'm the one making the initial discovery. My eyes (conscience) (spirit) have been so opened utilizing this method.

People hold dear that which they are used to (comfortable with), without ever wondering if there is another way or a deeper truth.

My deep and intense studies of Christianity and ten thousand years of pre-Genesis history suggest that maybe it's the Pistic Churches (Roman, Eastern, and Protestant) who are the heretics!

It's what the "mainline" churches say that I question the most. If I am told I cannot or shouldn't do something, that is what I most want to do (or at least know why). I refuse to be part of a herd of cattle being driven through life by those who claim they hold the truth!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Check out anything by Chesterton, Fr. Thomas Hopko or Lewis for the basics.

Here's one of many sites explaining what I mean:
http://www.rocor.org.au/syezd2004/davinci.html

Chesterton is good, and I love Lewis' writing (although I find his theology a bit evangelical), but, as a very unorthodox Christian, I would prefer to look at the orthodoxy from the gnostic viewpoint rather than the other way round - I learn more!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Additionally, the Gospel of Thomas has always been considered heresy by mainline Churches...

All the more reason to read it!

(Yeah, I'm a troublemaker.)

I told you - I'm a Theology major. Don't get me started! I could talk all day, but I won't. I'll stop now.

Christ is my druid. Know the Christ, and...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Theology major? Really.

Then, exactly who do you say Christ is?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Son of God, and the Saviour of humankind!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You are talking about being different, etc. and you gave me a student answer. I want to hear something deep and profound...and most of all, meaningful.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(*sigh*) Again, this has all been researched and explained in depth by minds much greater than ours. I'm old enough to have learned not to be afraid to be taught - if I really want to learn. Most of us, sadly, only want to garner enough Truth to be comfortable with our opinions and decisions, and to enjoy the euphoria (albeit ephemeral) of believing we have "discovered" something.
Let's move on, shall we?

posted Hide Post
Braling II: Oh, don't be a party pooper. You know there is always a people, a generation, an individual, who has to be shown things that we thought was taught a thousand times before.

Of course we learn new things to the day we die, but the basics CANNOT change. In the book of Hebrews it says, Christ the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. That doesn't change, tho we have all sorts of religions coming out of all sorts of woodworks that would love to change that to their definitions and purpose.

Oh, but I would love to stay around and chat more...(especially with Doug Spaulding) but I promised my wife we would go to Disneyland this morning, and it's going on 11:40am as I write. So, so long until later...