Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm confused, is this guy for real dandelion?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is as real as you want him to be...why spoil it?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QuIcK
NoTe

Ray's doctor has given him a ...great report on his health report card. On Tuesday of this week, (March 16th) Ray went along with a couple of his daughters and his grandkids to a day at Disneyland. He said he's feeling fine, and 'raring to go.'

Wow! To this I also say, BRAVO!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Nard, that's great. They didn't wear him out as he still sounded wonderful on the 17th. He mentioned having people there--didn't say who they were. I assume he had some conveyance such as a motorized wheelchair to get around Disneyland?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the good news, Nard!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

Motorized wheel chair?
I didn't ask.
Anyway, I don't think he has one. And wouldn't that be weird !! Ray never drove a car and here he is in a motorized wheel chair. I don't think so...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, he had something. No one goes around Disneyland with a walker.

posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Mr. B. was with his daughter Bettina and 2 of his grandsons. Mr B didn't go to the park,per say, we met at a restaurant, at the Disney Hotel, He was there for a couple of hours, his grandson's pushed him around in his wheelchair. Mostly in the Downtown Disney area.

Take Care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand, Ray has four granddaughters and four grandsons? Sound like nice kids!

posted Hide Post
This posting hasn't been used for several days, so mind as well post something at least I thought interesting.

Went to a lecture this evening, and during the lecture, the fellow mentioned about the latest evidence dramatically pointing to the Chicago Fire being started by a meteor storm. In fact, a whole bunch of fires started at the same time, from Ames, Iowa, to Michigan. He said the info has been around for years, but latest investigation has leaned greatly on the possibility of meteors, than a cow overturning a lantern.
Gee!! Waukegan was just a few miles north of all this. Wonder if Ray was aware of the info, back then...?

click on, or type into finder: http://www.spacetransportation.org/Detailed/84801.html

posted Hide Post
The Discovery Channel program "History's Mysteries" plans an episode on the Chicago Fire. Perhaps they'll mention this. They also plan one on the Salem Witch Trials. You wouldn't think those are related, but for some time now I've been mulling the idea of a book on the subject of how 1. When some natural disaster in the form of disease or accident strikes it is often blamed on a suspected or unpopular racial, ethnic, or religious group in the area. Witch trials are the classic examples (think I heard on the radio last week that the last person executed as a witch in Scotland was as late as 1772--it was 17-something anyhow--) but lots of other events apply. 2. Once stories are started, certain people are determined to perpetuate if not embellish them! This is very effective if the stories fit at all into currently-accepted Political Correctness, no matter how they fail to fit the known facts of the case. I do have a specific historical event in mind and was going to use others as examples. The Chicago Fire, in which I have always had an interest, sounds like a good one! I did a very successful college history paper on it, in which, as I remember, suspicion was thrown off the O'Leary cow, and certainly off the O'Leary family anyhow. 3. The larger and more disastrous an event is perceived as being--even if only one or two people were really harmed--the more significant the event is seen as by the country--the more it gets talked about and the more crackpot theories arise. The prime examples in the 20th century are the Lindbergh kidnapping, the JFK assassination, and, to some extent, the still-unsolved JonBen�t Ramsey case, in which it seems half the state of Colorado was accused of kidnapping and murder at some point or other. I swear, when I can take time away from my no doubt immensely successful novels, I'll write this book no matter who says what about it! As for meteors in the Chicago area, there's a lovely example of one in the Field Museum which came through someone's garage roof and embedded itself in the back seat of their car. The car seat, as well as the meteor, are carefully preserved there.

posted Hide Post
dandelion:

Thanks for info on the upcoming Discovery program.

As for meterors hitting Chicago, a good size one hit a suburb of Chicago (Park Forest) last year, 2003...and some pieces are being auctioned off for big money, $50,000 and up. A small fragment of the meteor (it's technically called a meterorite when it hits the atmosphere, a meteor when it's still in outer space...but why be so technical, eh?)...anyway, a piece hit some woman's window blinds. She says she paid like $10 dollars at Wal-Mart for the blinds, and somebody offered her $200. dollars plus for the meteor damaged blinds...

Here's another home-owner with damage...
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030506.html

posted Hide Post
Strange goings-on! Someone remarked they couldn't find this thread. I couldn't find it, either, the regular way, and when I found it through a search, it showed posts only up to March! Let's see if this reply brings the thread up to date, or whether there have been mysterious disappearances!

posted Hide Post
I'm starting to hear the Twilight Zone theme music, here......

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than about 300 posts are missing here.... other things seem to be settling down to normal on the other forums!

Dandelion:
What became of all the posts that were here? Seems it'd be somewhat of a shame if they just all dissapeared into the air! Is this like burning books, but in a most modern way?
Now they just go pffffftt!!