Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Actually, one of my favorite sounds in the morning is the sound of the birds under my bedroom air conditioner. But if there are tripods, the ambiance is ruined.

Janet! Tripods!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
chirp chirp

If you go to youtube.com and in the 'search box' to the upper right type in:

All Summer In a Day

...you'll get a 3 part movie of
"All Summer in A Day" by Ray Bradbury

http://www.youtube.com

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Take:

Often the correlation of a person's private life and his public life is evident in his art. Unless the person can compartmentalize to a great degree, the tiniest infractions within the soul parcel into the often significant parcels of one's work.

I think of Mel Gibson's upcoming filmwork, 'APOCALYPTO". The trailer begins by reminding the audience of his previous works: 'Braveheart', 'Passion of the Christ'. Yet there will be those who will dismiss the man's achievements because of his headline-making comments this summer. And I thought, can a man act foolish and yet create works that are in themselves enduring qualities of art?

Yep!

And that may be distrurbing to some. Wasn't that somewhat the basis of the movie, 'Amadeus', about Mozart's goofy personal behaviors and yet inspired declarations of musical displays?

I heard of people saying they will never go see another Gibson movie, etc etc. Nonsense. Throwing out the bathwater with the baby would seem to apply here with such talk. Sometimes a person is so completely rotten through and through that the moments he spends in creative acts force immediate despondency on the hearer or viewer. Such a thing will run the gamut of where it can be plotted on the chart of percentages ...of what oozes from personal life and creeps into the public world of one's art.

Gibson is too fascinating. All sorts of dark and evil things live on in anyone's mind and soul and heart. It's put there before we are born. It lives on thru life like bad bacteria. We put locks and keys on them. At times we find elixirs to dilute some of their poisons. The foolish banter of several moments from Gibsons mouth tainted with alcohol breathe may seem to have let loose wild beasts upon the land. No one said the tongue doesn't steer a large ship one way or the other. It may smear away those carefully outlined features of one's face. But I don't recall Gibson getting up the next day and saying that, "Ohmigosh!... someone has uncovered my carefully hidden agenda I have been formulating thruout my life!" No, his work says otherwise. His personal life exudes out into his public venue of art and politics and vision. For those, who don't care that much about the logic of context or the complexity and panaroma of one's labors, they'll just never seem to get over 'it.'...

Get over it!

===============================================

October 2nd, 06

NEW
Misc. Comments:
Instead of adding a new post, I'm just adding a thought or two of something totally different onto this post.

It has to do...
...with the deluge of print, internet, etc etc. and the FUTURE of print...

We all know there is the huge mega torrent of words and thoughts being poured out into the printed page and onto the internet. Like the whole world has gone word- crazy. So my take on this is that a totally new venue of getting the message across is approaching fast. Specifically, "moving" copy on the printed page.

A lot of work has been done on this already. It' s not new. But I do think it's much closer than imagined. The just 'printed' page will likely fall to the level of economics in the beginning. The new method will undoubtedly be expensive but worth the risk. It works like this:

As far as I have read, 'everything' will be printed with an ink that is sensitive to a radio signal. The ink contains millions of tiny beads that swivel in sockets from a radio signal. Thus, an entire page of this tiny beads (half white, half black...as well as multi colored)..swivel to a pre-determined exact position to create new images on the paper. Though this may sound like horse and buggy days for this new technology, imagine the scope of how things will change in the print industry. Like those giant computers being sold in re-sale to no buyers, because those big computer machines are now tiny things, full rooms of machinery downsized to a cabinet size and smaller. Now, your magazine changes every day to new materials, as well as motion on the pages. But I think this is just the beginning.

A bunch of other media breakthroughs will be happening at the same time. Ask a 8 yr old if he knows what a 45 rpm is!And two sided as well. Naw. Someday soon, before you know it, the same aged kid will ask you why the pictures aren't moving and taking to him on the cover of his new 'Space Cadet' magazine. And you'll say, what? Let me look at that. And there it will be. You just had to move it a bit, like you do with a lost cell signal. Tho the old fashioned print as we know it will undoubtedlty be always with us in some form (just like writing with pen to paper)...THIS will be the new internet...or something that different from the past...

===================

One More Take:

Thinking something of what hell is about. One glimpse...that it is a continual experience/sense of all that you lost. That's meaning you may not even have known what you had. If scripture writes that... it hasn't even entered in the heart or mind what God has prepared for those that love him, then THAT is what you must loose in hell.

================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody works harder than a man resisting his Creator. That's why he looks for examples of Christian failure to justify his resistance. Gives him a little peace.
For a while.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:

Okay, now. Let's have it. Where are you coming from on this one? I don't understand here. What Christian failures exactly is Gibson looking for and how is it being applied to justify exactly what particular resistance? (Or are you even talking about Gibson here or in general terms?)

You lost me on this one.

posted Hide Post
Braling II
Has Braling II permanently left this room?

posted Hide Post
Wha? Huh? Sorry. Dozed off for a second there.
Nope, still here.
I guess I wasn't very clear.
I meant God, being Love, seeks Man's fellowship more than Man seeks God.
I meant that Man, in his attempt to resist God, will eagerly grasp at examples of media-touted failures of such noted Christians as Mel Gibson in order to make himself feel better about himself.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

I thought that was you snoring over there...

Thanks for the clarification. Wonders what a little nap will do!

posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed. When I was commuting for many years, 50 miles each way, I would sometimes find myself taking little naps as I drove!

posted Hide Post
Not good! Not good! I can attest to that as I dozed off as I just entered a bridge, then slowly veered left into the path of an on-coming car and it hit head on. Fortunately the speed was way done and neither of was hurt badly. Cars were totaled. Not good, not good.

Now I sleep with a machine and my life is all different. I nap, but nap when I want to.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to wipe the coffee off the monitor after that one, biplane 1. Very good, very good.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sleep with a machine?
Braling I's wife does that sometimes. (Hee, hee!)

posted Hide Post
Actually for many years I was in denial. My poor wife would get scared when I would quit breathing at night. She would elbow me and I would start breathing again. After many fitfull nights for her and inadequate sleep for me as I was always tired during the day I went in for a sleep study and it confirmed that I suffered from Sleep Apnea.

In a two hour period I had 90 instances where I would stop breathing and then start sucking in air yet not waking up.

I was given a prescription for a CPAP (Constant Positive Air Pressure) machine and I have been using it for seven or eight years now. What a difference it has made in my life! I go all day without getting tired, but will, on a week end day, take a nap and will put on my mask. I look like a jet pilot breathing oxygen.

Well, enough on that. But, unfortunately, many people, men and women, suffer from Sleep Apnea and never come to grips with it. You will live longer with such a CPAP machine.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
... I go all day without getting tired, but will, on a week end day, take a nap and will put on my mask. I look like a jet pilot breathing oxygen.

Nice image - biplane and jet pilot all in one!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since this is "miscellany", here's what's been the latest "have you seen this?" rage around here:

Kids doing IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLBOupDdX8&mode=related&search=

Adults doing IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM&mode=related&search=