Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I hope I did not offend anyone with my remark. I just don't like this kind of change. I remember visiting the Keats house in London and thinking how fine it was to stand in the very place the writing happened. I had hoped to experience that with Ray's house. Thanks Phil for your thoughts on the Center; I'll do what I can.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offence taken here, skmckee! Maybe one day you will get to stand in the re-creation of Ray's office at the Bradbury Center.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
Oh boy, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.
Pragmatists be damned! Let's kickstart-buy it!

I was going to say, if you shout "pragmatist", philnic will say "present!" Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don't like this kind of change. I remember visiting the Keats house in London and thinking how fine it was to stand in the very place the writing happened.

I agree. I don't, either. We're sentimentalists, you and I, and I feel that the location where the magic happened is very important. I attended open house on Sunday and the emptiness was overwhelmingly sad. The bookshelves, one after t'other, now devoid of all books, were far too melancholy.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
No offence taken here, skmckee! Maybe one day you will get to stand in the re-creation of Ray's office at the Bradbury Center.

Sunday I stood in the basement itself. Artifacts are wonderful, I agree, but so is the dirt beneath that magical cellar.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sunday I stood in the basement itself. Artifacts are wonderful, I agree, but so is the dirt beneath that magical cellar.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and the walls that heard the snap snap of an electric typewriter. Buy it Doug Spaulding, and turn it into a writer's retreat! Or the BB&B Smiler

posted Hide Post
The B B&B! Love it!
I assume the basement/office is what we see at the opening of the Ray Bradbury Theatre?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that was filmed at his downtown office.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I think that was filmed at his downtown office.

Correct. For a number of years Ray rented an office in LA. Wilshire Boulevard?

And, of course, the opening of RB THEATRE is a fabrication: the elevator is in the Bradbury Building; the man seen walking into the office (hand and legs) is someone other than Ray; the interior of the office is Ray's real office.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...the man seen walking into the office (hand and legs) is someone other than Ray...

The man himself had a bad cold or other on that day of shooting.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Or the BB&B Smiler

Alas, it's zoned residential. However, we've been figuring, and if we can get 1500 people to put in just $1000 we can buy it as a cooperative. It wouldn't be a business with signage but rather a place where we could, by turn, stay overnight two or three at a time. We could use it ourselves when we needed or wanted. There would be upkeep and taxes but that many people could easily pay it. Most important the Martian dirt beneath that basement would be left untouched!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
...the man seen walking into the office (hand and legs) is someone other than Ray...

The man himself had a bad cold or other on that day of shooting.

It was the flu. I spoke to him while he was sick and sent him chocolate chip cookies as a get well present!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Alas, it's zoned residential.

From what I understand, zoning regs re B&Bs vary; it might be allowed. However, profiting from Ray's name would be questionable; I wouldn't want to disrespect his memory or his family. Your idea of a cooperative though is very interesting... I could see the house being a hub for creative people. Perhaps the Mars Society would be interested in holding their meetings on Martian soil!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps the Mars Society would be interested in holding their meetings on Martian soil!

It's in the basement! I've walked on it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Just missing the o.

"Live Forever!"