Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Obviously, we're in GREAT company since Dandelion reported on other threads that Ray Bradbury deemed the new King Kong movie "wonderful" and "fantastic" and "You must see it!"

Buy some popcorn and be prepared for an amazing ride!!

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 911, I put “NATTY BUMPPO LIVES” on the console of my computer at work and to this day nobody has a clue. Now I’ve added “GUY MONTAG LIVES” and more often than not it turns out that people have read the book. GULLY FOYLE is next.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something? I've read only one of the books, but what the heck does Natty Bumppo have to do with 911?

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Natty Bumppo was a guide to safer ground. He would run into a building when others ran out. He was on horseback in Afganistan with the northern alliance. After 911, that kind of spirit, to help, to guide, and to protect, demonstrated itself over and over again. – Best

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
_

dandelion:

As to Natty, click on:
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG02/COOPER/indian.html
_

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a tough take on Natty. I still see him in the idealized way I described however. -- Best

posted Hide Post
Was that the Mark Twain piece blasting him? I didn't look as I'll reserve judgement till I read the whole series. (The Mark Twain essay was printed in schoolbooks with a disclaimer in case students should avoid Cooper forever based on it.) I've read only the first book (chronological to his life, not publication order) and my only real impression was he talked a bit too much, which, I suppose, is helpful in talking one's way out of a tight situation.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. It’s by some students over at The University of Virginia. Good intelligent stuff. The Twain piece is tougher though.

posted Hide Post
Hawthorne called his short stories "tales" because he wanted to use his characters as symbols--as means to get at a meaning that says something beyond the actual plot of the story. Bradbury has spoken of the fact that much of his work is not sci-fi but fantasy. I think Cooper's work falls into a similar category. I don't think he's pretending to write fact. It's fiction. Cooper should be judged on what he was trying to do.

Another good read in that vein, also from early american lit, is Charles Brockdon Brown.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just discovered (not that others didn’t already know it) that it was Judy-Lynn Del Rey who was the first to restore “Fahrenheit 451” to its original form. God bless the sweet memory of her!

posted Hide Post
_____

Hark!
Another Miscellaneous Posting
_____

Twas watching John Wayne movies (on DVD) from the early 1930's ... when lo and behold...it was very strange to see.. there in large letters on the screen,

Directed by:
R. BRADBURY

Seems many early John Wayne movies were directed by R. (Robert) Bradbury. (Five of the 9 movies on my DVD set are directed by Bradbury) Then thought I: how funny twood be if twernt Bob but Ray.

see link: http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/jwayne.htm
___

Week ago I was talking to a retired professor friend of mine, who taught for years at one of the downtown Chicago colleges. He was telling me that his twin brother's father-in-law's name was... Ray Bradbury!

____

And even while living in Los Angeles, I got to know a whole bunch of Bradburys. Bill Bradbury, who lives in Westwood, Dave Bradbury up in the Valley...and their uncle's name was... Ray Bradbury.

Which makes me to wonder...

Just how many named Ray Bradbury are there really in the great wide world out there??????

____

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Friday the 13th and Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
_
Oh Gosh!

Here's a photo of someone by the name of Rae Bradbury...the actual spelling of author Ray Bradbury's first name:

http://www.costume-con.org/CClink/CC18/Photos/pages/sf07.shtml
_

posted Hide Post
This was quite eye-catching...usually a familiar photo in astronomy books, The Orion Nebula, but now caught with the Hubble telescope on January 11th, 2006.

Imagexlarge_web.jpg (184 Kb, 11 downloads) Orion Nebula (photo released 1/11//2006)

posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who sees a man's face in that photo? (I did have a couple glasses of wine with dinner!) An amazing photo, Nard!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post