Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed 'War of The Worlds'. In fact, I'd like to see it again. I don't know what 'people' really want in movies nowadays. There are today movies far superior to movies made generations ago. We're spoiled. We're all waiting for the theater- in -the- round in 3-D without glasses? Sure we are. And even beyond that. But it's the story and what it has to say that will either profoundly upset us or make us laugh. (And by the way, I think Hollywood has no idea how to make a truly funny movie in years. If this ''The Aristocrats'' is supposed to be side splitting like some critics are saying then please cover me up in a mound of dirt and let me await resurrection.

The website for the new movie, 'Narnia', which follows, is really too complex I think. And no trailer, unless it's there somewhere and I just can't locate the darn thing. ( By the way...when Disney made the movie, 'Something Wicked This Way Comes', and it bombed at the box office...everyone thought the Disney name was poison, so they changed their name to a new one, 'Touchstone', and 'Splash', it's first movie, made a fortune. Now it seems that they are not afraid anymore... Good Luck!

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/index.html

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use your mouse and "Play" the game, enter by clicking on the wardrobe when the mouse changes to the hand, and then on the Lion hield and the options will appear. The trailer is quite good, looks like another Lord of the Rings for us in December. I enjoyed reading the books, now the visualization will begin.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgive my saying so, but we are absolutely brilliant:

http://www.libertytheater.org/SOM.htm

Not all sold out yet. For anyone living within an hour's drive of Dayton, Washington, this is well worth seeing!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope all goes well!
We, too are brilliant many miles to the South...
http://topsy.org/chorus/boxoffice.htm

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was just reminded of a lovely film from 1945 called “Our Vines Have Tender Grapes” staring Edward G. Robinson, Margaret O’Brien and Agnes Moorehead. It’s a heart warming family piece that reminds me a lot of Ray’s stories. It even has a circus in the middle of the night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter

Your needed comment has led me to think that...

...somewheres amidst all these posts, we've certainly discussed similarities of other works to Ray's grand inscriptions. Not enough discussion, however? Perhaps piling up all those posts of neat persuading ideas will focus the truth that humms thru many lands of wonder in the arts, the kind that has the stamp of Bradbury on it. ...thus revealing the uniqueness of each artist who creates, and how they are simliar in personality and life. Now that's an undertaking for some enterprising young intellectual out there who looks for a mountain to climb...

posted Hide Post
Deep down in the recesses of my mind in that chamber some might refer to as an intellect, I find it harder and harder to navigate. Like Phil Squod in “Bleak House”, (although I haven’t been blown up lately), I must tack forward as a ship might or lean against the wall to get from one end of the enclosure to the other. Thus having entered my Gabby Hayes period, I don’t see myself climbing any mountains. But as you say, “…some enterprising young intellectual…”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is the thread for topics not always related to Ray, I have one I would like to share with all of you book loving friends. In my local newspaper, "The Naperville Sun," there was a recent editorial cartoon that was priceless. It's a picture of Santa, his sleigh, and one of his elves up on a rooftop. The elf is holding a Christmas list from a boy named Billy which reads, "I'd like a new XBox 360," and the elf is saying, "He wants to battle villains, race an Indy car, experience adventures in outer space..." And Santa is saying, "Exactly," and you see him dropping a pile of books down the chimney! I love it! And isn't it so true??? I'm putting it up on a bulletin board at school even though I know my middle schoolers will roll their eyes at me!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KING KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just returned from this incredible movie!

It's simply amazing, brilliant, breath-takingly beautiful, and jump out of your seat suspenseful! I will definitely go back to see it again. I haven't been transported by a movie in years. Can't say enough good things about it.

Peter Jackson, with his remake, has triumphed and transported his audience. What a classy movie!!!!!!!!!!

Now, he's first on my list to remake F-451. Are you out there, Mr. Jackson??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Lake,

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Once upon a midnight clear, a wise child was born under a guiding star.” Whatever you believe, I pray that you receive kindness this holiday season.

posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who was blown away by this movie?!

quote:
Originally posted by The Lake:
KING KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just returned from this incredible movie!

It's simply amazing, brilliant, breath-takingly beautiful, and jump out of your seat suspenseful! I will definitely go back to see it again. I haven't been transported by a movie in years. Can't say enough good things about it.

Peter Jackson, with his remake, has triumphed and transported his audience. What a classy movie!!!!!!!!!!

Now, he's first on my list to remake F-451. Are you out there, Mr. Jackson??

posted Hide Post
I just saw "Kong" yesterday - absolutely top drawer!
I particularly liked how strongly Kong's personality shone through! Good development of what was incipient in the original. Also having Anne understand Kong's love for her and return it was a great touch.
Otherwise, it followed the original's script quite closely, of which I heartily approve.
Special effects- great, of course.
Until I think about it more and/or see it again, my only criticism would be the performance of whoever played Denham (Jack Black was it?). Not very convincing.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling,

I agree!

Kong, along with Gollum, should be recipients of an Academy Award for best actor...but I guess that's not possible for animated "actors".

I, for one, enjoyed Jack as Denham, but I'm a huge fan of his from High Fidelity and House of Rock.

I'd love to know what Ray thought of this movie. He's such a huge fan of the Kong movies, and I'm sure he would have loved the dino scenes, the "humanity" of Kong, and the spectacular vistas atop the mountain and the Empire State building, just for starters!

posted Hide Post
I just saw "King Kong" yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. Kong was so lifelike, I had to remind myself that he was mostly computer animation. Andy Serkis (sp?) did another great job. I heard that he went to some chimpanzee and ape reserves to study their movements, posture, habits, etc. After he played Gollum so wonderfully (wonderfully creepy and insane!!), I remember reading that there was talk of an Academy Award nomination, but the problem then was that there was no existing category to nominate him for. With all the changing technology, perhaps it's time the Academy Awards were revised a bit. Surely they could create a new category for this kind of performance. As for Jack Black--I felt he was great in his role. He was just sleazy enough and conniving enough for me. I loved him in his other roles, but I've always felt he had this side to him that we saw in "Kong."

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post