Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, he struggled to make ends meet. I can not comment on how much he actually made from his writings. Though The Raven was not a get rich publication, from accounts I have read.

However, it seems he did make a few long lasting (significant)enemies because of his literary criticism, known for its surgical accuracy, as well as its, at times, mercilessness. It was second to none and very influencial in his time
His demise was as filled with mystery as was his troubled life:
(Scroll toward the bottom)
http://www.lfchosting.com/eapoe/geninfo/poedeath.htm

Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorites of all times. His short stories wasted not a word from start to finish. The respect RB pays him in Usher II and Exiles is ironically perfect.

Just think, there never was any Amontillado! "He-he-he-he-he-he-he-he...for the love of God, Montresor!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From memory, as I'm not at my library, Poe (like many others in his era) did not get royalties. He got a one-time payment. From what I read, if he had gotten royalties from "The Raven" alone, he would have been wealthy. But he got a one-time payment, and then others made money by reprinting his work and selling it themselves. It is like pirating CDs and DVDs today (how many participate in that!!??)

Poe is, indeed, one of the very best. He wrote in several areas: Detective/Mystery (one of the inventors of that genre), horror, suspense, verse, criticism.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and humour! As I've noted before:

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums?a=search&req...rum_scope=1001093901

I usually read Poe and Bradbury at least every October.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, you refer to Robot Lincoln's reading Robert Heinlein. I, too, was a big fan of Heinlein and even wrote to him. He responded twice, both times on post cards, and in the last he said that he was too busy writing to have any further correspondence.

Later, I mentioned this to Ray and he said that it was Robert Heinlein who helped him sell his first story.

But what a contrast between two well known authors. I have a binder full of notes and letters and post cards from Ray over the years in addition to the many books he has autographed for me and not once has he ever said that he did not wish to continue corresponding.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Heinleins personality was nothing like Ray Bradbury’s. I admire your friendship with Ray. I think you do him good. By the way, ever read Heinleins’s “Red Planet”?-- one of my favorites along with “The Door Into Summer”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can't be said enough times--

BRADBURY IS AMAZING!

I also enjoyed a correspondence with Bradbury's friend William F. Nolan, to a much lesser extent than with Bradbury, and the last time I contacted him he also said he'd be far too busy to respond as he did in the past. Never has Bradbury stated or implied that he didn't want to hear from me--in fact, quite the opposite!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sun was out when I left the house today and I got to sit for a while and watch the cat across the street take a sunbath on the sidewalk. After a while it decided to come over and make my acquaintance. “Good kitty.”

Later, in a donut shop, there was a group of mentally challenged people along with their leader waiting in line. One, an elderly fellow, was determined to say hello to me, though he was incapable of any real articulation, and overcoming my uneasiness and ignorance I said hello to him and got a very happy response. Then, reflecting, I realized how glad I was that Hitler had not gotten his way.

Soon I was in my car driving in the rain and having to swerve around some road-kill in the street. Such is life. Perhaps tomorrow there will be another kitty moment.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, great story.
Pardon me if yours sparked a memory:
Many moons ago I played jazz for a living, which meant I had to do something else for money, so I worked in a coffee shop/ice cream parlour. The buses used to change there and I was often by myself, so I was usually incredibly busy. Anyway, an old couple with cerebral palsy used to come in once in awhile. The woman, whose name was Rose, was also a bit retarded and couldn't speak at all. The man could speak with great difficulty, and neither could carry a milkshake to a table very well. (They only ever got milkshakes because they could handle a straw, but not a spoon.) I want to tell you, though, that they were the most appreciative and kindest of all my customers; and when they came in, I would take the time and patience to serve and help them even if it meant making several rude, in-a-hurry "normal" people wait! I remember with what absolute child-like delight they would sit sipping their milkshakes and look lovingly at each other...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story also. If we look real hard, maybe even out of the corner of our eye sometimes, we can see the butterflies around us, and like Ray’s light bulb, they make our lives a little brighter. The hard part (but not for you it seems) is how to make their lives a little brighter.

posted Hide Post
I loved both of your stories, very moving. I really enjoy hearing stories from almost anyone. Some of the most profound stories I've heard were from your street cleaners or your checkout person or anybody. You have to not just hear, but listen. Its a little hard for me to do that at times.

Sometimes you can get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, It was moving to me to write that. I get misty now reading it myself!
Bot, Good observation. Stravinsky once said. "To hear is no merit. A duck hears." In other words, hearing is what our ears do. Listening is a conscious effort. As a musician, I've played in concerts - but also in bars, lounges, and clubs. I the former venue, folks have paid to be there; and in the latter venue, you may have as much value as the wallpaper. It really is enlightening when, as I believe Ray has done most of his life, we become conscious of our sensory imput and appreciate it!

posted Hide Post
Just saw “Take The Lead”. Anyone who loves music and has an interest in stories about teaching kids should not miss it. It’s “Stand And Deliver” meets “A Chorus Line” and “The Blackboard Jungle”.

posted Hide Post
I'll check it out. I loved "To Sir, With Love" and "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" - Wait! I think the Teacher Theme was developed on the old site...

posted Hide Post
Happy Easter, happy Passover and happy Jackie Robinson Day!

posted Hide Post
Happy everything to all.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post