Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
For you serious Spellunkers, "Yes, I know I missed "a" verse. Don't worry about it!"

(re:...Jimi Hendrix, live version of "Like a Rolling Stone")

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Butch, glad to see you made it back from Bolivia!
I met Mr. B back in the late 70's. I heard him speak at (I think) Flint Center in San Jose and at San José City College (note the acute accent over the 'e'). The latter is most memorable as it was the first time, and it was in October!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Johann!
(it's Bach's birthday!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Frank, you had to mention spellunking. I actually got to do that while in college in a cave near Ashville, Missouri north of Columbia.
It was quite an experience I can assure. A wet cave in January. Brrrr!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO thanks. Too many bats. "Think" the husband and wife in the Far Side cartoon. She following faithfully with her huge bee hive hair-do, and he assuring her, as he plays his flashlight into a den with hundreds of the hanging winged-vermon, that it will be safe to stand up after just a few more steps. Right!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh man. i've never been in a cave. i'll put that on my list of things to do.

incidentally, on that same list, i've just been able to cross out one: wading in and moping up mosquito larvae. on a gross scale of 1-10 that was an 8.5 in my book. i work in a supermarket, and the back sink/drain (where spoiled milk, orange juice, and mop water go) was pouring out onto the floor all day. everyone just ignored this apparently and kept dumping stuff in there. by the time i was ready to do the evening's moppings, there was a lake of orange juice and milk back there. that moved. there were little black things in the water that...moved... oh man. i faithfully reported this to management who rewarded me with the job of moping it all up. i'm fine with messes but moving masses of larvae is a little much, even for me.

thus ended an exciting encounter with management and messes. they still expected me to get all the carts in from outside, the departments mopped, and all the returns put back on the shelf in the same hour i'd become damage control. do not understaffed administrations move your soul?

The facts speak for themselves.

Posts: 27 | Location: Orange County, California USA | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depth Perception, you must be a senior in high school. You appear to be too seasoned to be either a junior or sophomore.

At least there weren't rats lurking around. And then to have taken care of the larvae before they hatched!

Somehow I thought back of my working at the John Morrell & Company meat packing plant where I worked on cow's stomachs and heads. This was just prior to my heading off the to army where I envisioned myself scrubbing out garbage cans. After working on the stomachs and heads I figured I could handle anything, but never did have to scrub garbage cans!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you guys get on that Discovery show about Dirty Jobs?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You haven't lived 'til you've had to climb ino a collapsed 30-year-old redwood septic tank, shovel it out (over your head), bury the stuff, and rebuild the tank, all on Thanksgiving Day!

posted Hide Post
On Thanksgiving Day!? Whoa. That is the most fou/wl mixed metaphor I believe I have ever encountered.

posted Hide Post
I don't want to live.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why, because people always make the robot do the dirty work?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane- i'm a junior, actually, but i appreciate the vote of confidence in my teenaged version of maturity.

i'm with robot on not wanting to live...that way...hoo boy...you must've smelled loverly, Braling.

no, they always make minimum-wage-earning teenagers screw up all the dirty work and get in trouble for it lol. luckily, i had a vague notion of how to actually mop something up (as opposed to the "like the only thing i can like do around here is like throw stuff in like a bag and like help people like find stuff" co-workers mine. (the sad part is i work with both genders, yet they both sound like that).

i'm hating the rain...

The facts speak for themselves.

Posts: 27 | Location: Orange County, California USA | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Why, because people always make the robot do the dirty work?

...and me with this pain in the diodes all down my left side...

posted Hide Post
Why dontcha tell Massa you got a Mis'ry in your diodes?