Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Bradbury's Bandied Brands!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury's Bandied Brands!
 Login/Join

posted
Has Ray Bradbury EVER mentioned a current brand name of any product in fiction? I know he has in interviews, but in stories it's always obsolete brands (such as Nehi to evoke another time in historical fiction) or generic or fictional products in both historical and futuristic stories. Deviled ham is mentioned in Dandelion Wine but I don't think any specific brand is named. Quite the opposite of Stephen King, whose stories are punctuated with cultural markers. What are your favorite Bradbury brands?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Denham's Dentifrice!
Marionettes Inc!
Fantoccini Ltd (slogan: We Shadow Forth)!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago Abyss: As in Chesterfields, Kent, Malboro, Raleighs, Lucky Strikes, Kool, Milk Ways, Baby Ruths, Clark Bars, Butterfingers, Buick, Kissel-Kar, Cadillac.

I especially enjoy doing this story and then the RB Theater episode that goes along with it. The interpretation for screen was really very nicely done. The "old man" who remembers everything and finds it essential to tell others does an outstanding narration prior to his escape to the abyss.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Have I Got A Chocolate Bar For You!" - Hershey, Clark Bar, Cadbury, and Butterfinger. Also possibly Power House and Love Nest, but I'm not familiar with them.

I always well-up when I watch "To The Chicago Abyss". However, the distraught young man at the beginning is slightly over the top.

BUTTERFINGERS!!!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten those, having been overcome by the Royal Crown Sponge Cream Para Litefoot Tennis Shoes.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, a Quaker's Oats box for the "magic potion" in The Exorcism!

RE: I always smile when I think of this name and the scene with Doug and Mr. Sanderson..."Royal Crown Sponge Cream Para Litefoot Tennis Shoes"...and the 10,000 shoe boxes on the wall!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post