Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    NPR's Vote for the Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy Titles

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NPR's Vote for the Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy Titles
 Login/Join

posted
National Public Radio is taking a vote for the top 100 science fiction and fantasy books of all time. Ray has four books on the list of finalists: FAHRENHEIT 451, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. As folks like to say here in the Chicago area, vote early and vote often! Here is a link to the list of finalists:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/...ction-fantasy-titles

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Just voted.
I was pleased to see some older classics in the running.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The results are in, and all four of Ray's nominated books placed in NPR's list of the top 100 science fiction and fantasy titles of all times: FAHRENHEIT 451 came in at #7; THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES placed at # 27; SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES was # 79; and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN came in at # 91. Congratulations, Ray!

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/...iction-fantasy-books

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I just put the link on my facebook. Nice to see Ray with four in the top 100!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ones that came in at 1 & 2 I love; but surely 3, 4, & 5 are a bit obscure and won't stand the test of time?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable that Wells, Verne, and C.S. Lewis (at No. 100!) were so far down the list. I guess there's no accounting for taste, as they say.

posted Hide Post
A bazillion years ago the local classical radio station had an annual listener poll of the 100 best classical pieces. Ravel’s Bolero never appeared on the list. Yet the year that the movie 10 appeared all of a sudden Bolero was in the top ten.

Not that George R.R. Martin has not created a great world but I am sure if it was not for Premium Cable it would not have been on the list, much less in the top ten.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post