Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Do You See A Ray Bradbury Story in This?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You See A Ray Bradbury Story in This?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Wrong thread.

Yeah!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:Bees come from white people!? Smiler

A little-known fact. Honeybees are not native to North America, but were brought from Europe. Early Native Americans referred to them as "English flies." Don't let anyone tell you different.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...Honeybees are not native to North America, but were brought from Europe. Early Native Americans referred to them as "English flies." Don't let anyone tell you different.

So, it wasn't chicken pox and smallpox that devastated the native population, but bee stings and excessive honey consumption. Watch out Martians, we're coming your way next! Bzzzz!

(Actually, the Martians already know about bees. Didn't Yll have a weapon that sounded liek a swarm of bees?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First it was malapropisms. Now it will be Palinisms, you betcha!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earlier I posted about the Burr Oak Cemetery scandal on "This Should Inspire Ray." Now here is a post for Emmett Till: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31...ethnicity/?gt1=43001

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
"Even everyday news carries a Bradburyesque-paint to it, put there by our recollections of readings, or new found Bradbury stories that make us aware of something merely noted just the other day, but now special indeed."

- and -

"When the Challenger exploded years back, we all thought of Ray's "Kaleidoscope."

- and -

"Anyone got one handy, to post here? There's gotta be a ton of 'em out there."

From that, I interpreted the meaning of this thread to be about "everyday news carrying a Bradburyesque paint to it". I thought the news article I was relating to was appropriate for this thread. I must be wrong. Excuuuuuse me. Was it the "merely noted just the other day, but now sepecial indeed" part where I'm straying off course? Was the Space Shuttle trajedy ever "merely noted"? I don't get it.

Would any other regular participant at this board have warranted the same reaction from the Moderator? I just don't get it.

About a year ago I read a news story that said that the Japanese are building an addition to the international space station. In the story it was described as a "porch", and the story said that it will be used to conduct scientific experiments in an open-air atmosphere. As soon as I read this I thought of Ray Bradbury. I can imagine one or two astronauts, sitting on the porch, and drinking a cool glass of lemonade while gazing at the stars.

Matter of fact, I just googled this now and the porch is there and here's what I found: http://www.space.com/missionla...ts127-pm-update.html

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Could not stand it any more and finally bought myself one of them-there Martian bee-weapons!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Could not stand it any more and finally bought myself one of them-there Martian bee-weapons!

From The Blue Bottle?! One of them that'll make its target disappear?! Could you aim it at Donald? And then Mayne, for good measure.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

From The Blue Bottle?! One of them that'll make its target disappear?! Could you aim it at Donald? And then Mayne, for good measure.

Yeah, I wish!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,