Ray Bradbury Forums
Ray Hits the Powerball Jackpot!

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/7827018616

10 June 2012, 12:03 PM
dandelion
Ray Hits the Powerball Jackpot!
Did anyone notice that every single Powerball number on June 9 had great significance for Ray?

18 -- age when attending 1939 New York World's Fair
22 -- age when he wrote his first great story, "The Lake," also title of book Twice 22
45 -- Year he made Best American Short Stories
56 -- Number of years married to Maggie
57 -- Year Dandelion Wine was published
27 -- Age at publication of first book, Dark Carnival
(Somewhere between 18 and 22 would be number of years I've been trying to hit the Powerball jackpot.)

Hope someone had a hint? Or was this a hint from Ray that the birth and death dates are not the important things, but what occurs between?* Still...maybe next time?

*It occurred to me afterwards he pretty much said this in Something Wicked This Way Comes, but we need reminding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,
10 June 2012, 02:49 PM
douglasSP
I always assumed that several of Ray's books had 22 stories in them because he was born on the 22nd. Could be a coincidence, but I don't think so.
10 June 2012, 11:38 PM
dandelion
Yeah, Douglas, obviously the 22 was the only number I got right due to the birthdate. Also, one of his children, Bettina, was born on the 22nd of I won't mention which month, in 1955--two t's, two 2's, two 5's. And Judy Garland, born June 10, 1922, (would have been her 90th birthday Sunday), died June 22, 1969. All kinds of 22s there, not to mention Ray passed away during or just after watching a Judy Garland movie, and Judy was the one person besides the author most associated with Ray's beloved Oz!