Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray Bradbury's Magic
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's Magic
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Did I mention that you guys also make me laugh????? And after today, I need something to laugh at. In one of my Lit classes 14 of the 26 students had not read the chapters I'd assigned and bombed their quizzes. No, I'm not teaching Bradbury now, I'm teaching "The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass..." But my next unit is my sci fi/fantasy unit in which I showcase Ray. I can't wait!! I'm sure I'll get more ideas from this board to incorporate in my unit. All the other teachers spend about a week on the unit and say things like,"I don't like sci fi," and, "I just don't get it," while I, on the other hand, seem to expand my unit every year.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman, thanks, that assessment is good enough to repeat!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would only mention that perhaps the phase should be slightly altered to read "my God breathing in our direction". The writer obvisoulsy has met his God and knows Him well. Others may have met a different god, or aspect of God, and receive their spiritual guidence from an equally valid, though different essence, still breath-ing on us all.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to be on the board. Thanks for the warm welcome. May it be a long and prosperous journey filled with many good experiences. And hopefully, when I find out what my English teacher gave me on my Bradbury paper, I'll have something good to share with all of you! But for now, i'm enjoying spring break!

Posts: 14 | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MadDog, I am wishing you a belated, but hopefully not too late welcome to an extention of this wonderful group of voices on the wires that share a common love of an author that has touched thier souls with strokes of his typewritten works. I first met Mr Bradburys book of the Illustrated Man at 11 in Montana on a huge rock cliff over looking Hebgen Lake.
By my 12th Birthday I had to have all the paperback books my parents could buy. Little did they know he was so prolific. Ray has opened my eyes, and mind since to the majesty
of the creators universe, and the wry wit of a childs creative mind, and heart. Ray may not know it but through his hands he has the gift of his words, and a spirit that beats along into eternity whether he likes it or not. He has the ability to reach a common chord of divine compassion in humankind while being blessed blissfully as to recognising his own source of inspiration in such a intuitive combustibable flow he has to write to breath,live, and survive. Oh what a gift, and we are the benifactors. Mr Bradbury has made me quiver inside while reading with humor,insight,thought,joy, and revultion. He has provided me with insight into life, and family, and the desire to study the broader world with fresh new eyes at different ages in my life. I can empathise him, nothing against gender, I love the opposite, but in my Family too I am out numbered. Its a good thing I am chief spider killer or I would not be so popular in the house. I digress
ah "Finegann" Rays work is wonderful. We have it in print. IT will "LIVE FOREVER" as text, I Love have always loved
to read books. He sparked more of that flame at age 11 for me, poured kerosene on it! If I lose my library priviliges I am devasted. So currently I serve in a University library in InterLibrary Loan. Another good way to keep "kerosene" away from books. I have been working in the Library for 12 years or so it is like getting lost in heaven in the stacks.
MadDog keep your nose in the books so to speak.
Ray has a lot to read, and there are many here that have read him well.

Besides that occasionally we have a little cyber-party!!!!
with confetti optional
"your choice of confetti"
SEASONAL OF COURSE uncle

p.s. I also think respectfully what Mr Bradurys views of a higher power are only known truly by Mr Bradbury.
[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-22-2003).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have just finished listening to F-451 while scanning articles to send via internet to other universities. For six hours I have had Ray Bradbury reading his book in my ears.
In a library about a fireman burning books, I thought it ironic, that I was scanning chapters, and sending them as files acrossed
oceans to Pretoria South Africa. That is where we had had one request. Guy Montag destroyed with fire. Now with information technology we archive, and share. There is always a price. With technology. I loved the concept of keeping one favorite book in your head. I can only thank my parents for letting me have so many of Rays books at 12 years old as a birthday present. It has kept me reading. I recently donated, Death is a Lonely Business, and One More For The Road to the University library here. I am trying to fill out the collection. I will keep buying books that we do not have when possible.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uncle:
AMC Movies just had Fahrenheit 451 on TV this afternoon... and I was surprised that I didn't catch something said in the last part of the film before. It had to do with all the people in the final scenes that are walking around with books memorized. When asked, what they did with the book, after they memorized it, they said they...burned them !!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking over the old posts.

Ah, the good ol' days!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magic, Indeed!!
---------------
-from Dandelion Wine

The boys bent, smiling.
They picked golden flowers.
The flowers flooded the world,
Dripped off lawns onto brick streets,
Tapped softly at crystal cellar windows
And agitated themselves,
So that on all asides
Lay the dazzle and glitter of molten sun.
A common flower, a weed that no one sees, yes.
But for us, a noble thing…the dandelion!”

RB ~ Timeless Poetry!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're making me cry. I'm sore all over from two days spent killing the things and have at least one more day to go until I hit every one in the yard!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An option . . .
http://commonsensehome.com/wp-...Dandelion-wine-1.jpg

Grandpa Spaulding would be pleased!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In visiting Phil's great UK RB site, I was captivated by the final "Soft Rains" allusion. I have realized countless instances over the years (teaching, family, friends, travels...etc.).

The "Magic" and "Moments" RB's writings create in one's life somehow reach beyond explanation, at times. Ironic, metaphoric, coincidental, or random - "things Bradbury" ring clear and close to the heart if you are familiar with his poetic tales (in all forms). When you recognize such a glimpse, it's "...a regular Ray Bradbury!"

A rare, soft LA rain falls on a roofless Bradbury residence ~ of course it would! http://bradburymedia.blogspot....5_01_01_archive.html