Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Homework, for US?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homework, for US?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Oh, come on, nowww. I was originally thinking one (1) sentence but I can see how my "opening lines" could be taken out of context. Still, let's stick to one sentence per. Unless it's something like "BANG!!! He awoke to death." Which we won't quibble over it being one or two sentences.

BTW, the "He came out of the earth, hating" line is super and I do not recognize it.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dog ate my homework.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first concussion cut the rocket up the side with a giant can opener.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Kaliedescope"

Yeah, I got one!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work teach, you get an apple. Here's another, this is fun.

The sundials were tumbled into white pebbles. The birds of the air now flew in ancient skies of rock and sand, buried, their songs stopped.

Not sure, but so far every story I have randomly opened has a spectacular opening line. This guy is really good you all, possibly the best...

posted Hide Post
The Blue Bottle?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas Spaulding will be dismissed early tomorrow and will be excused from cleaning the blackboard for correctly answering...

posted Hide Post
Well it's Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. So far, this is what we have.

1.)"The carnival had come to town like an October wind, like a dark bat flying over the cold lake, bones rattling in the night, mourning, sighing, whispering up the tents in the dark rain."

2.)"It was a day of holocausts, cataclysms, tornadoes, earthquakes, blackouts, mass murders, eruptions, and miscellaneous dooms, at the peak of which the sun swallowed the earth and the stars vanished."

3.)"It was a pleasure to burn."

4.)"The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm."

5.)"He came out of the earth, hating"

6.)"The first concussion cut the rocket up the side with a giant can opener."

7.)"The sundials were tumbled into white pebbles. The birds of the air now flew in ancient skies of rock and sand, buried, their songs stopped."

posted Hide Post
Nards is from the original story that spawned Something Wicked, I think its called Dark Carnival. I wish I had a copy of that same titled book by the way, it's high dollar now. I haven't found your's yet grass about Halocausts and blackouts, working on it....

In the meantime, I stumbled across this in a book of dark collections. I got it from work and didn't even know there was a Bradbury story in it. This has happened to me several times.

"On an otherwise ordinary evening in May, a week before his twenty-ninth birthday, Jonathen Hughes met hist fate, commuting from another time, another year, another life."

posted Hide Post
I have notes on all of these quotes, but I'm at work now and I left my notes at home. Rats!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket: Mine was, original title, 'Black Ferris'.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robo,

Is that from "A Touch Of Petulance". Sounds like it. Dude meets himself on a train or a bus, Heinlein style.

posted Hide Post
Nard, thanks. I misremembered that. Somewhere I have a book of collected science fiction stories with that in it. I seem to recall the boy's names being different or something.

Grass, that's right. It is a very short story but still very creepy. I think it is his fate that he meets.

posted Hide Post
Grass & others, Ray also is fantastic at finishing a story, like you know the story is over but not, if that makes sense.

A shadow flickered over Mr. McClean's hot face. Many shadows flickered. The vultures were dropping down the blazing sky.
"A cup of tea?" asked Wendy in the silence.

posted Hide Post
Yah. You can’t read something like that without realizing just how “fantastic” he really is.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post