Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Magic Moments in Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magic Moments in Movies
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Many Great Moments in "Forbidden Planet".
One we're not likely to ever see again: as the ship is approaching Altair IV, the crew is watching the planet on a screen, and the Doc says, "The Lord sure makes some beautiful worlds!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch "Bridge to Terabithia," an entire movie composed of magic moments.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bedford Falls Picayune has been informed that Mr. Elwood P. Dowd (he of two hats and two overcoats) will be having a few friends over for dinner this coming Tuesday at eight. Some of those invited are: James Gleason (the milkman in “The Bishop’s Wife”), Alfred, (the young man pushing the broom in “Miracle on 34th Street”), who feels kind’a good and all warm inside when he’s able to do something nice for someone, Sourpuss from “Meet John Doe” and the Baldwin sisters (sorry, the brothers were not invited).

Serving will be S. Z. Sakall, the actor who played the waiter in “Casablanca” and who’s trademark was to grab his jowly face.

Oh, yes, and Elwood’s Pooka (no relation to a Wookie, who is also furry but not nearly as easy to talk to). Elwood says that his Pooka friend may not eat much during the evening but assures us that he can be counted on to throw a few back (have a couple of belts).

It should be noted that Elwood was kind enough to give us one of his cards.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, Chap! Brilliant.
I love "Cuddles" Sakall! Did you know they goofed the credits in "Casablanca", billing him as "S.K. Sakall"?

How about inviting Professor Barnhardt?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Watch "Bridge to Terabithia," an entire movie composed of magic moments.

Aye - that I did. Three and one-half stars. I thought it as good as the other great family film from this year, Charlotte's Web.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I liked “Charlotte’s Web” a lot so will try and see “Terabithia” soon. Sounds good.

Braling II,
Kind words. It would be fun if some artist painted his version of one of Mr. Dowd’s Tuesday night meals.

By the way, I have an aunt in the city and she has it second hand from Mrs. Goldberg across the inside courtyard of her apartment building in the Bronx that Bud (Bud is sometimes late blowing the noon whistle in Lake Wobegon), while traveling through Bedford Falls saw Elwood one night, not with the Pooka, but sitting on a park bench talking to a little blue pyramid. He said he could see them both real well because they were both pretty well lit.

Myrtle Mae and Duane Wilson are back from their honeymoon, Rita is still palling around with the judge and Stan and Ollie down in the mailroom of the Picayune have told the editor that James Gleason was not the milkman in “The Bishop’s Wife” but the cab driver--although he did play the milkman in “The Clock” along with his real wife Lucile.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You make a great egg 'n onion, kid! A great egg 'n' onion!"

"Don't open that closet, McGee!!"

"I gotta fix that one o' these days, Ma..."

By the way, James Gleason was absolutely stellar in "Here Comes Mr. Jordan".

posted Hide Post
James Gleason was one of the greats. An important friend of Cagney’s too.

“Heavenly days, McGee! How many times are you going to forget and open that stupid closet door?”

“I’ve got to remember to clean out that closet one of these days!”

Uh, oh. I just saw a boy with green hair walking to school. Could it be the fluoride? Or a warning!?

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Yes, BII, one of my favorites and a movie full of 'em.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to topic:

The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe

Fox: "Forgive me your Majesty."
The White Witch: "Don't waste my time with flattery."
Fox: "Not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you." [looks at Edmund]

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I watched a movie that I hadn't seen in many years, viz. "Marty".
I was so moved.
Definitely one I'd like to own and watch annually. If you haven't seen it, you must!

posted Hide Post
“You don’t like her. My mother don’t like her. She’s a dog, and I’m a fat, ugly little man. All I know is I had a good time last night.” – Marty

Very, very good choice, Braling II.

Ever see the scene in “Flight of the Phoenix” where Ernest Borgnine gives up his radio to the dying man and then realizes what he has done and nods his head? An exceptionally effective actor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
In King King (2005), when Kong and Ann are sliding around on the ice-skating rink and laughing.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Just saw that again last night!