Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Magic Moments in Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magic Moments in Movies
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
In Dr. Zhivago when Omar Sharif (as Dr. Zhivago) is staring at the ice covered window in the very cold summer villa (where he is in seclusion with Julie Christie and their child) in the dead of winter and then there is a transition of time when the window thaws and turns into a field of colorful flowers--one of the most momentious moments I have had in a movie.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
I wish Tracy could have worked with Stan and Babe just once. Oh, how sweet that could have been. A very funny man.

In my opinion, Tracy is probably the greatest American actor.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And he’s a sucker for licorice too.

Wow! I would have said Dustin Hoffman, thinking of Ratso in “Midnight Cowboy” but then there’s Tracy’s Hyde and Manuel and “The Old Man and the Sea” and—wow, maybe you’re right?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burt Young.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

In my opinion, Tracy is probably the greatest American actor.

About twenty years ago, I was at the Universal City office towers. Upon entering the elevator, I noticed the other passenger was George C. Scott. To break the silence of the long ride up I turned to him and said that I thought he was the second best actor of all time. He raised an eyebrow and with a question in his voice said, “Second best?” I replied that he was second only to Spencer Tracy. He laughed aloud. As the elevator doors opened and he exited, he made a very theatrical bow and said, “I bow to my Tracy.” Then I laughed aloud.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"This mug of mine is as plain as a barn door. Why should people pay 35 cents to look at it?"

- Spencer Tracy

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Secret Life of Bees is so full of such moments, I have to just recommend you see the whole thing.

I saw it tonight at a special screening with the director, Gina, and one of the actors, Dakota, whom I kind of know.

Superb film of a great novel!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The beginning of "The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" when golum kills his friend and steals the ring.
Lord of the Rings 3

I tolerate this century but I don't like it. -Doctor Who

Posts: 3 | Location: Colorado. But I wish it was Florida. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an intense clip, TBS.

Here is a great scene from Big Fish (novel, by Daniel Wallace). It really captured the theme that ran throughout the story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...hbbg&feature=related

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,

I agree. Big Fish is one of my favorite movies and I believe Tim Burton's best.

Yes, that scene is very moving from Big Fish. It's sad and beautiful and fitting that the son carries on the story and writes a beautiful ending to the father's life.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blind Henry, another of my all time favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...PVO7IO1E&feature=fvw

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The closing scene in "About Schmidt." Schmidt reads the letter and has his epiphany.... That mix of heartache and redemption that plays out in Nicholson's face.... Great performance, great ending.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind Henry:
I agree. Big Fish is one of my favorite movies and I believe Tim Burton's best.

Oh, it's wonderful! Tim actually improves on the very good book, a rarity. It's my third-favourite after Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If a Dandelion Wine movie could be done with some of the feeling and care with which Mockingbird was produced, it would be a truly wonderful gift to Mr. Bradbury. I have just finished teaching both books and am always amazed at the parallels that can be realized in the two works.

Though DW pre-dates TKAM, the settings are close time-wise ('28, '33), two young main sibling characters exploring their summer(s), small town American & Depression Era are recounted, the lessons of coming of age unfold, the evils - imagined and real - lurk at night, the joys and losses of life and death hit close to the heart, loving families talk and struggle, imagery and metaphors of each author's childhood abound on every page. All of this takes the reader back to a more innocent time...

One that, maybe, few still remember - and so few will even understand in the very near future.