Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Magic Moments in Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magic Moments in Movies
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Chaplin's shy smile and nod in City Lights when the Flower Girl asks, "You?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well then, what about Gene Kelly's dance sequence in "Singing In the Rain?"

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding,
Yes, shy, but also a look of wonder and fascination that she can see. And of course when she says she can see, she’s not talking about here eyes. Perhaps THE greatest moment in film.

biplane 1,
I see that seen with Gene Kelly and I want to hug a lamppost—or splash water on a cop.
Do-de-do-do, do-de…

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
And of course when she says she can see, she’s not talking about here eyes. Perhaps THE greatest moment in film.

You may be right - it's my favourite film.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only met Mr Kelly once, in Beverly Hills when I was with the U.S. Post Office as a lad. My father met him many times, as Mr. Kelly used to be on his normal route, when he was a letter carrier in BH for 28 years. My first date with my future wife was at a $1 per showing of An American In Paris at UCLA on Valentine's Day 1969. I was, and still am, a total Gene Kelly Fan, and just marvel at his talent in all fields of the cinema, dancing, acting and directing, and of course, his relationship to Bradbury. I own a DVD of both Signin' In The Rain and An American In Paris. He lives on!

Oh, and what Cyd Charisse did for an adolescent boy's dreams!
http://www.famoustexans.com/cydcharisse.htm

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of dance sequences, and yes, I did bring them up, the one I will drop anything I am doing to watch, if someone happens to be playing the tape, is the "Maid Mad to Marry" number in "Kiss Me Kate," sung by Ann Miller as Lois Lane "Bianca." The three men playing the suitors in the dance are Bobby Van (Gremio), Kurt Kasznar (Baptista) and Bob Fosse (Hortensio). The second great number in that is "Brush up Your Shakespeare," with Keenan Wynn and James Whitmore as the crooks.

Just as there are no good westerns being made now--neither the people nor the animals exist with the necessary training and talents to fulfill the requirements--has there been any dance movie in the last twenty years which even began to approach an MGM musical? If so, I must have missed it!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, Gene's dance is on my list. I have so many, I'm posting them a few at a time. Anne Miller! How about her "Shakin' The Blues Away"?!
(Easter Parade, 1948, I think) I don't think anone's feet have moved so fast since people had feet!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing more contemporary? I like, in the Bill Murrey Movie, "A Razor's Edge", where, at the end (when his girlfriend has been brutally killed and he confronts the woman who motivated the lapse leading to her death, where Murray says something to effect of, "I thought she was my reward for living a good life...". You watch the scenes where he helps her recover her life, and you can feel the love between them, and then it is all taken away from him. What a powerful scene.

Other, more contemporary films?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, interesting that you noted The Razor's Edge as I enjoyed this moving very much. As might be noted, this movie was a far cry from the regular fare of Bill Murray, but as I understand it, Bill agreed to make, I think, Ghost Busters, with the stipulation that he could also be involved with The Razor's Edge, a novel by W. Somerset Maughham.

Bill's older brother, Brian Doyle-Murray, also starred in the film as he did in many others with Bill.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Jonathan Demme's beautiful picture from last year Neil Young Heart of Gold as Mr Young sings Harvest Moon.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I really did enjoy that film. The novel was good, also; but I think the film stands very well on its own. The film deserved a much broader audience than it recieved.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. D, now I did refer to "A Close Shave" earlier. Fairly contemporary, what?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MINE has many. One of my favorite movies.
http://www.eternalsunshine.com
click on ENTER WEBSITE once there...and then MAIN MENU. .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christopher Reeve--Margot Kidder; the "Can You Read My Mind" flying sequence in the 1970s version of Superman.

Jaime Escalante's kids making the grade in Stand and Deliver.

Robin Williams' character learning who his tour guide really is, in What Dreams May Come.

The final, frozen scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

ST: The Motion Picture--just seeing the Enterprise again, after all those years.

And finally, for now, the color red in Schindler's List.

So much movie magic to remember; such a range of wonder. Neat topic, Doug Spaulding.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam Jaffe in "The Day The Earth Stood Still" - "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you!"

W. C. Fields as Micawber in "David Copperfield" - "Ah. Fruit!"

"Dr. Strangelove" lots of great moments. One is "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

Professor Kelp (Jerry Lewis) dancing to the "toe-tapper" in "The Nutty Professor".

Jerry again in "The Errand Boy" - what he does with the great Count Basie's "Blues in Hoss' Flat":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSvdcKxWDqc