Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Magic Moments in Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magic Moments in Movies
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling II:
Now you did it. I MUST mention Sid Caesar, (my absolute favorite...Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, and Laurel and Hardy, were 2nd and 3rd, not necessarily in that order). Sid Caesar worked with Ray Bradbury in such movies as "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit".

But here's a clip from the old Caesar TV program, "Your Show of Shows":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xG21xAT-yy8 .

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible talent on that show! Imogene Coca, Howard Morris, Carl Reiner...Wow.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a try.

The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. When Boromir is shot full of arrows and dies after he tried to take the ring from Frodo. He dies trying to protect Merry and Pippin. Aragorn comes to his rescue, but it too late. The music, the slow motion photography, the heroic braveness and sadness of his death.

Blind Henry

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BH, When I think of moments from that movie, I think of Rivendell when Bilbo sees the ring again and his face changes, but I forgot how moving is the scene you describe. Very powerful in the book as well.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the dying character was Borimor--one of the humans in the expedition. A great scene. I have two more that were always powerful for me in that fantastic trilogy.

The scene, after Gandalf has been "killed" and they are spread out over the rocks. The grief is palpable.

The other is on the last movie, where the defenders of the building built into the side of the mountain (forgot the name) are awaiting a certain death. The scene where the elves march in and he says something like they will die together. The sense of unity and brotherhood there is, again, palpable. A very, very moving scene for me.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The British film "Dead Of Night" (first mentioned by philnic on the Board back in 2005) when Mervyn Johns returns to the farmhouse - again.
One of the most gut-wrenchingly creepy moments in film I can recall. I'm glad they included Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne for some comedy relief!

posted Hide Post
In “The Mouse and His Child” when the tramp looks into the tree-house and they are all frightened and the tramp says, “Be happy.” and walks away.

When the third ring bearer, Sam, is bearing the ring…er, Frodo up the mountain. After all, he’s only a gardener.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenswake:
Neat topic, Doug Spaulding.

Thanks. Once in awhile, I get one right.

In Waking Ned, when the fiddle string breaks at the same instance the telefon box hits the beach. Tight writing, that.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

"Dr. Strangelove" lots of great moments. One is "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

Sounds like something Henry Blake would say on M*A*S*H, does it not?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incredible talent on that show! Imogene Coca, Howard Morris, Carl Reiner...Wow.

...Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Neil Simon...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Very powerful in the book as well.

Braggart.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

posted Hide Post
quote:
"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Casablanca.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You’ve got me interested in seeing it again. Here’s looking at “Casablanca”, kid.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, if you don't see it again, "...you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life..."

http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-55183/casablanca/ginjoints.wav