Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Save the Monorail ~ Save the World

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save the Monorail ~ Save the World
 Login/Join

posted
I believe that every self-respecting fan of Ray Bradbury should pack a bag, board a plane, train or automobile and head to Las Vegas. This is to help save the only publicly funded monorail in America. As most of you know, Ray is a devotee of urban planning and his essays have effected development from Horton Plaza in San Diego to the Glendale Galleria and Century City, CA. Ray’s greatest urban planning love and belief is in the monorail. Let’s all band together to save this symbol of Ray’s vision.

You can read the article in today’s Los Angeles Times by following this link:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-monorail14sep14,1...a-headlines-business

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the Seattle monorail?
I was living there when they built it in 1961; and, as far as I know, it's still running. It was built for the 1962 World's Fair, and I believe it paid for itself in the first year of operation.

http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Horton Plaza in San Diego...

It's a beautiful place:

"Live Forever!"

Imagehorton-plaza-1a.jpg (99 Kb, 3 downloads)

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
How about the Seattle monorail?
I was living there when they built it in 1961; and, as far as I know, it's still running. It was built for the 1962 World's Fair, and I believe it paid for itself in the first year of operation.

http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

The Seattle monorail is a commercial enterprise while Las Vegas is municiple.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you mean municipal, but point taken. However, from the article you posted, it would seem they've got to address some problems of efficiency, structure, and cost. I do hope things work out for the best. I myself won't be going to Vegas any time soon; I've been there once and that was enough for me.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The monorail in Sydney, Australia is notoriously expensive and near-useless as a means of public transport. For tourists only.

Somehow the visions people had in the '50s and '60s of monorails being the future of urban public transport just haven't panned out. Maybe because they're cumbersome, inefficient things. Still, they do have a charm of their own (riding on one is kind of like being in a sci-fi movie from 1970).

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post