Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper 2: Thoughts Inspired by the Genius of Ray Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper 2: Thoughts Inspired by the Genius of Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
A thousand years ago, it seems--the stars fell and the fireflies rose as I watched, living at my grandma's farm. Ray told me about Mars, and I listened, spellbound. Then--there were chocolate bars, catacombs, electric grandmothers--for years, I spelled "rocket" with a capital "R."

And as I grew, I read the grandmasters. Asimov gave me the laws of robotics and a foundation, Clarke gave me Childhood's End, 2001, and more; still later, I learned Heinlein's Stranger, Green Hills, and a Cat Who Walks Thru Walls--and that he lived in the Broadmoor, in Colorado Springs, not far from me, then, those years ago.

O. S. Card gave me Ender's Game; Crichton breathed Jurassic Park. King ghosted Carrie, more, and Frank Herbert breathed Dune and beyond.

From Ovid's Metamorphosis to Boccacio's Decameron, Shakespeare's plays, to Poe's mysteries, I've read--yet, still, it's Ray Bradbury who wrote, and took the soul of a young person and made that soul WHOLE.

As an adult, I've been blessed with the chance to bring a child or two back from hell. It's my job--yet, what I do, and the fact that I can do it--I owe all to the hope given to me by a man who taught me how to see Martian landscapes, and my own backyard.

You will indeed live forever, my friend. Of that, I have no doubt.

So--let's see how Ray's genius has inspired others, if you'd care to share. In fact, share anything, and let's listen to each other--!

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oOps! I made a post on the RESOURCES instead.... wonder how I could transfer it here?! Anyway that's my first post on the new topic....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury brought this child back from hell.

Things were BAD in my house growing up, my Dad. When I read SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES it was like therapy for me. I admired Will Hollaway's relationship with his father, and I related to Jim Nightshade's not having a father. I would have given ANYTHING to have a father, a good father. I used to lie and tell other kids at school that I had a great Dad, and that he was a policeman. After reading "Something Wicked" I didn't lie about him anymore. I didn't need a Dad anymore, I had Uncle Ray.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a note from Cori (dandelion) saying that she spoke to Ray this past Sunday...and is happy to hear the request for 'landmark status'... is being presented to the city board of directors in Waukegan per Ray's old boyhood homes. I have some papers to read that dandelion emailed, but I can't open the darn thing. I tried the new Bradbury website, downloadng the icon into the system, hoping it would open there, but it threw it back out. If anyone thinks they can open it...(Windows, etc)... email me...and I'll send you the icon and see if you can open it up to read...

email: b.kordell@comcast.net

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, the first page of the landmark application in the form you sent to me arrived fine.

Yes, I called Ray on Father's Day and told him I consider him my "spiritual father anyway." What I'd have done if my biological father was IT...I shudder to think! Ray said that was "very sweet" of me, called me "darling," was interested in the landmark, leading to museum, project, and told me to "keep after it."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why isn't the City of Waukegan all over this? Why aren't they on the phone with Disney? or Warner, or Paramount, planning the most spectacular theme park ever, Dark Carnival??

And if Waukegan can't step up--why not Vegas? Ferris wheels that run backwards, holographic mirrors, Penn and Teller perform the metaphors of terror!!!

The RB spectacular planned for next year near Orlando? With the right publicity, they'll be packed.

Right here, this is the next level. Anyone with money listening? Is this your Oscar?

Spielberg should try Martian Chronicles. Ron Howard should invest in Dandelion Wine. Tim Burton lives for Something Wicked, Johnny Depp breathes Mr. Dark, and isn't Robin Williams a great Charles?

Penny Marshall should do Laurel and Hardy Love Affair, and M. Night Shyalaman should direct The Illustrated Man.

Larry Wilcox believes, and his RB Theater is testament. Who will be next? What is the next RB vision made whole?

Anyone listening in Waukegan? Theme parks have become ho-hum. Care to change the paradigm?

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And--to grasstains and those interested--I am an Illinois certified Juvenile Officer, with a B.A. in English.

I didn't ask to be a cop, it just kind of came to me. I don't tell people up-front--many want to judge you by what you do, not who you are.

Then, there's Ray's bad experience with cops.

But--Ray's Legacy--is that I learned there is always hope. Over a 20-plus year career, several kids have come back, told me I saved their lives, but not me, it was Ray. You know, there's one more letter I need to write to Ray and this is it.

[This message has been edited by ravenswake (edited 07-13-2005).]

posted Hide Post
Ravenswake, Wow. I've known a few juvenile officers and others who work with this most troubled and difficult age group.(BTW, should be "...sisters and me" in your post. Objective case, you know.)
Got to hand it to you, though.
In the foreground, all our attention is on celebrities; while it's folks like you who work in the background gluing pieces of our society back together so it doesn't completely fall apart!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HAPPY 36th ANNIVERSARY
FOR
USA MOON LANDING

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huzzah!
Way to go, libRArY!
Both times I got to see the man speak (lo, many years ago) he gave a very moving account of his almost-television-appearance that night in 1969. I'm reading the Weller book right now. I'll be interested to see if this anecdote appears therein...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post