Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray's House
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's House
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It grows continually worse and worse with no end in sight! My God, the Philistine responsible for this appalling act of barbarism does not plan construction till at least 2017! He could have taken TWO YEARS to arrange some way NOT TO TORTURE US, but NO!

I should send him the bill for the medication I am going to have to take because of this!

http://la.curbed.com/archives/...dburys_old_house.php

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is breaking my heart, I can only imagine how those who knew Ray for years and visited him there regularly must feel...

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
KCRW has now aired their DnA architecture show which includes interviews with Thom Mayne,Jon Eller and others. It's online in full. Link below.

The most interesting bit is not Mayne, nor Jon. It the little interview with the guy from LA who has a watching brief for significant buildings. That one interview really tells you how we got to this point.

Phil, thanks for posting this, to which I haven't had time to listen, but this article just appeared http://touch.latimes.com/#sect...rticle/p2p-82603007/ giving a timeline. Perhaps we fans should have been more awake in terms of checking the city for legal filings regarding the property instead of letting ourselves be blindsided by a sneak attack!

Another Los Angeles Times article entitled "A Look at Ray Bradbury's House" offering "a look inside" also appeared, but I am unable to access any pictures on either of my newest computer's browsers. If it has pictures other than those already posted here, can you copy and post them here for us? Thanks.

http://www.mhpbooks.com/why-wa...rchitect-thom-mayne/

As for what Mayne had to say in the above article...*sigh*...it is even more sorry and shallow than whatever pathetic posturings I expected. Come on, people...within the limits of the law, let's show this creep what "a bummer" REALLY is! Don't let this cultural criminal enjoy one moment's peace as long as he owns that property!!! Also let's do our best to make sure this terrorist never works again. If he just keeps getting richer, he will rip down the pyramids which his wife no doubt considers too old and ratty to be worth preserving!

Edit: Sorry, I previously posted only one link above when there should have been two, including the article to which I referred in the last paragraph. The one about the look inside, as I said, I didn't link as I was unable to see any of the pictures.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
this is breaking my heart, I can only imagine how those who knew Ray for years and visited him there regularly must feel...

Thanks, still looking for words, have a feeling they're not all in the Thesaurus....

posted Hide Post
This is enlightening and may answer much! I was wondering if this so-and-so actually truly hated Ray so terribly he simply couldn't stand to let his house be for two more years? Perhaps it had more to do with legislation! http://la.curbed.com/archives/...sh_old_buildings.php From what little I read of the primitive life form's statements as well as actions which spoke volumes, it seems he wanted the house gone in large part because he felt it didn't deserve to exist!

(Note: So far the last article to which a link appears two posts above is the only one with statements by the perpetrator which I've been able to bring myself to read even in part and I don't know when, if ever, I could bear to hear recorded interviews.)

posted Hide Post

Check it, folks! The future Ray Bradbury spent his life trying to prevent, not predict, belongs to such loathsome losers...it ain't pretty! I'd rather have tea with Millie Montag!

Wise words from an immortal occupant of future bulldozer fodder!

“It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.” ― Mark Twain

https://www.marktwainhouse.org/

Thom Mayne's honors. Sorry, list not updated to include "Asshole Extraordinaire" award:

AWARDS

2013 AIA Gold Medal

2011 Richard J. Neutra Award for Professional Excellence

2011 California State Polytechnic University, Pomona

2009 Centennial Medal, American Academy in Rome

2008 Edward MacDowell Medal

2008 Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences

2008 California College of the Art, Honorary Doctorate of Fine Art

2008 New Jersey Institute of Technology , Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters

2007 AIA Los Angeles Presidential Award

2007 AIA California Council, The Maybeck Award

2006 National Design Award, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum

2006 Alumni Merit Award, University of Southern California

2005 Pritzker Architecture Prize

2004 Fellow, American Institute of Architects (FAIA)

2001 Chrysler Design Award of Excellence

2000 Gold Medal, Los Angeles American Institute of Architects

1995 Alumni of the Year, USC

1992 Brunner Prize/ Award in Architecture, American Academy of Arts and Letters

1992 Member Elect, American Academy of Design

1987 Rome Prize Fellowship, American Academy in Rome, Italy

posted Hide Post
Heigh-ho, Thom Mayne strikes again! The Mark Twain plaque was placed the same year Ray Bradbury's house was built, 1937, and they disappeared within weeks of each other. This is beyond coincidence, folks! No doubt Mayne wants to mount the pilfered profile as a trophy!*

[url=http://www.mhpbooks.com/i-did-not-rob-mark-twains-grave-and-other-thoughts-about-elmira-ny-and-its-relationship-with-its-past/[/url]

*Disclaimer: hypothetically/theoretically/circumstantially, of course...nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Anyhow, I hope someone does bring the item to King's attention!

I just emailed Steve. As producer of one of his films a few years ago, I have maintained contact. Hope the message reaches him!

Still checking his Facebook and Twitter pages and nothing yet.

posted Hide Post

This is where we're headed and you KNOW how the remains of this so-called civilization will end up!

posted Hide Post
Eventually, there was peace, at the end of 'The Battle For The Planet Of The Apes'. Cool

Then again we are told this by John Houston as an Orangutan. Big Grin

Be well, dandelion.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Eventually, there was peace, at the end of 'The Battle For The Planet Of The Apes'. Cool

Then again we are told this by John Houston as an Orangutan. Big Grin

Be well, dandelion.

Thanks. All the memes which are memorials to the house or expressions of how I feel about its loss, I am moving to this thread, https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...1093901/m/6467026666 except the one above, which is too good!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Anyhow, I hope someone does bring the item to King's attention!

I just emailed Steve. As producer of one of his films a few years ago, I have maintained contact. Hope the message reaches him!

No Tweets by him on the subject so far! https://twitter.com/stephenking

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't know who took this photo of that "bad house," or when, but obviously it was still lived in, before the shrubbery was severely trimmed after it was listed for sale:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
KCRW has now aired their DnA architecture show which includes interviews with Thom Mayne,Jon Eller and others. It's online in full. Link below.

The most interesting bit is not Mayne, nor Jon. It the little interview with the guy from LA who has a watching brief for significant buildings. That one interview really tells you how we got to this point.

Phil, thanks for posting this, to which I haven't had time to listen, but this article just appeared....

Hey, Phil, just now I tried to find the link to the radio broadcast to share with someone (I still haven't listened--more a matter of finding the heart than the time--) and it looks as if you didn't post it. Presumably this http://www.kcrw.com/news-cultu...n-la-gets-a-retrofit is what you meant to post. Thanks for letting us know of its existence!

Now that we have the link, can we all please email it to the NPR Radio Program This American Life at storypitch@thislife.org ?