https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/7157012366

21 January 2015, 01:28 AM
dandelion
Ray's House
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Anyhow, I hope someone does bring the item to King's attention!

I just emailed Steve. As producer of one of his films a few years ago, I have maintained contact. Hope the message reaches him!

Thanks, Doug! The people on his message board are very intelligent and kind and I highly recommend it. Someone from there also in touch with Steve has seen my thread so I await his reaction.
21 January 2015, 01:39 AM
dandelion
It seems the Chicago Tribune also ran an article but it is so new I was unable to access its text or even learn the date. When archived it will be available.

I wondered at the whereabouts of all the comments the news must certainly be eliciting. Relatively few compared to the vast number of Ray's readership have showed up here, on Ray's Internet Movie Database page, or on Mayne's Facebook page...and on Mayne's Internet Movie Database page so far none but mine. Well, it turns out a goodish portion are ending up on Ray's Facebook page--so far 778 comments under their two posts on the subject of the house, that is assuming that counts comments to the comments--there are also Posts to Page not all of which I've seen--not half through yet! I'm not on Twitter but I understand it lit up like a Christmas tree as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,
21 January 2015, 01:39 PM
philnic
It is a shame all the concerned folks only reacted after the event, and didn't speak up when the house was up for sale.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
21 January 2015, 04:15 PM
MogtheDog
Mog the Dog here. The first thing that popped into my little toy brindle dog head when I learned of the untimely death of Ray's house was the opening line to the movie Hearts in Atlantis:

"Why do we always expect home to stay the same? Nothing else does."

Not a comforting quote, but it popped into my head nevertheless.

Maybe if the house looked more like snake skin and clipped fingernails, I wouldn't have felt so sad to see it go. That place was alive, and now it's gone forever.

Speaking of snake skin and fingernail clippings, I'll be 50 years old this year. That's about 350 in human years. Makes me wonder when and how I'll meet my own end in this iteration.

After my favorite human companion dies, I can only hope that I'll be tossed in the back of Mr. Jonas's wagon instead of the incinerator. Maybe Ray's autograph on my back will help me do just that.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD
21 January 2015, 06:55 PM
Linnl
MogtheDog wrote:
quote:
After my favorite human companion dies, I can only hope that I'll be tossed in the back of Mr. Jonas's wagon instead of the incinerator. Maybe Ray's autograph on my back will help me do just that.

May it be for quite a while, but perhaps you could find your way to the reconstructed office of Mr. Bradbury's. His dinosaur and masks would watch over you I'm sure.
21 January 2015, 08:31 PM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
It is a shame all the concerned folks only reacted after the event, and didn't speak up when the house was up for sale.

My thoughts exactly. If only a million people were willing to contribute under $200.00 apiece.
22 January 2015, 03:25 AM
dandelion
Seriously, Phil, the Center for Ray Bradbury studies should be archiving comments here, on Facebook, Twitter, and those following articles on the subject. (But not until I get through all the comments on Ray's Facebook page and so far I've managed only the first 300!)
22 January 2015, 04:08 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...the Center for Ray Bradbury studies should be archiving comments...

For my own purposes and on behalf of the Center, I do archive all significant web pages relating to Ray, including news reports.

Most comments ("below the line" stuff) are of little interest, to be honest. They tend to be repetitive, and often written by people who haven't bothered to read the original posts they are commenting on!

However, I shall harvest* the comments of the major threads, like the one on the "official"** Ray Bradbury Facebook page.

As for archiving the posts on THIS message board: if you're talking about the entire board, that's a difficult prospect.I've tried it with some special software, but wasn't too happy with the results: the board is vast, with a huge number of links, and is constantly changing. It really needs to be done on the server side. And if you're talking about being selective, where does one begin?

* Harvest is a good word.

** The "official" RB FB page is run by Knopf. I wonder what HarperCollins thinks of that...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
22 January 2015, 06:47 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:

** The "official" RB FB page is run by Knopf. I wonder what HarperCollins thinks of that...

Knopf is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
22 January 2015, 12:50 PM
dandelion
quote:

Gee, is the one on which I've been posting the "official" one? My comments should be visible under "Posts to Page."
22 January 2015, 12:53 PM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Knopf is a good word.

Yeah, you can't top that, you can't knock that, and you can't Knopf that!

On one of the Facebook comments we coined another good phrase: Cultural terrorism!
22 January 2015, 09:36 PM
dandelion
For the better part of two weeks I have had no rest, comfort, or peace.

My theory as to "why" Ray Bradbury's house was destroyed, besides motivations of greed, ego, narcissism, and an obsessive need for notoriety, require a visual aid, which is attached in the form of the images from Google Earth on page 3 of this thread. It's enough to make one ill...look at the setting of Ray's home and you can see that with an endless supply of time and money it would be possible to purchase it and the adjoining property and have plenty of room for parking AND an interpretive center as well as the house itself, which could have been fitted with duplicate or reproduction items! If there were good reasons against leaving it in place (such as zoning regulations or the neighbors objecting), the house could have been removed intact and stored until a suitable site could be found! Don't try to tell me there was no room in the entire city or state for such an heirloom! We have been hearing from Russia, France, and Germany about this! In the U. S. it has been reported only in Los Angeles and Chicago and reaction is overwhelmingly negative--angry, shocked, and sad!

Now, I've been wracking my brains wondering WHAT ON EARTH POSSESSED THIS MANIAC TO COMMIT THIS ATROCITY! (No, I haven't read or listened to what he had to say; I've been too busy, too upset, and why would I believe him when he lies anyway?) Not in a million years was this a coincidence or an accident--THIS PROPERTY WAS DELIBERATELY TARGETED!

THIS JUST IN: KING TUT'S GOLDEN MASK HAS BEEN DAMAGED! (I think that was actually an accident, though.) Frowner

The first possible motivation on the house would, of course, be a mixture of jealousy and attention-seeking--exactly the motives given by a certain sick sonofabitch whose name I refuse to dignify by using it for shooting John Lennon! He KNEW PERFECTLY WELL that MILLIONS would hate him--but notoriety was more important to him than being reviled! (Raising the question of who else's property Mayne planned to defile had Bradbury's been unavailable.)

The pictures, however, raise a second possible motivation--assuming the lot extends part of the way to the left (to wherever the neighbor's property starts) and all the way to the right (sidewalk)...that's a pretty huge lot, perhaps unusually huge for that area! I don't have time or inclination to search Google maps of the area as to whether this lot is exceptional, but if so that alone could provide enough motivation as to why it in particular was targeted.
22 January 2015, 10:18 PM
dandelion
Posting the remainder of John King Tarpinian's series of photographs so everyone who comes here can see what stupid is!

22 January 2015, 10:20 PM
dandelion

22 January 2015, 10:22 PM
dandelion